Router Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a real wrestling match with a bunch of dado cuts yesterday and got to thinking ther has to be a better way. Can someone steer me to a square or rectangular base for my PC 890 fixed base? Seems to me a nice straight sideded base would make it a whole lot EASIER to follow a clamped guide than using the standard clear round base.
What I am doing is cutting some 1/4 slots to slip plwood into to create a series of divided sections in a little tool storage chest: 8 slots 2" apart.
Is there a square or rectangular base available that will help or should I try to craft one. I have a sheet of 3/8 stuff.
Thanks.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi: I have the Micro Fence guide. It can fit any router, because it's an edge guide but very precise. It has a shoe that goes on the guide that makes repeat cuts very easy. I even did a dentil moulding with it. The down side is that it is pricey..
You could order a square 7" sub base for your router from Oak-Park, that would be less expensive. and use a straight guide with it. Hope this helps ... Woodnut65

·
Community Founder
6,782 Posts
Do you have a table mounted router? If so then because you want to make the dado cut 2" apart I would cut them like making the box joint.

Increase the distance between the fence and the router bit to 2" instead of 1/4". Cut first dado then put the cut dado over on top of the fence and make the second cut. repeat this operation until you have all of the cuts made.

I would make the sides as one piece, rout the dados in the piece then cut the piece in half to make the two sides.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I got 'em done, but there has to be a quick and simple way to do this little job.I am going to see if I can purchase a clear base or I will try to make one 7" X 9", bored to take PC collars. Seems to me it it would be much easier to slide down a clamped straight edge. I have a sheet of 3/8 plastic type stuff (the good stuff) I just have to make sure I cut accurately and then figure how to cut hole etc.
Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Birchwood said:
Well, I got 'em done, but there has to be a quick and simple way to do this little job.I am going to see if I can purchase a clear base or I will try to make one 7" X 9", bored to take PC collars. Seems to me it it would be much easier to slide down a clamped straight edge. I have a sheet of 3/8 plastic type stuff (the good stuff) I just have to make sure I cut accurately and then figure how to cut hole etc.
Thanks fellas.
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out what sort of problem you were having with the circular base and an edge guide.... Could you go into some details please?

If you want to make your own sub-bases and need a few idea check:
www.routerforums.com/showthread.php?t=395
Where I show how I've done them.

Ed

·
Registered
19 Posts
Birchwood said:
Thanks fellas.
To cut the hole just insert the bit you want to use then mount the plate on the router and with it running raise the bit slowly with the micro adjustment through the plate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.