Router Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
David
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the sawmill and picked up about 25 bd. ft. of unsteamed Walnut for trophy blanks and then went dumpster diving at my friend's cabinet shop and came back with enough Maple, Cherry, and Hickory to make about 5 more cutting boards. There's more under the CNC. Actually, he's saving scraps for me and told me to get all I care to load up. I'll make sure to give him one of the cutting boards!

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Went to the sawmill and picked up about 25 bd. ft. of unsteamed Walnut for trophy blanks and then went dumpster diving at my friend's cabinet shop and came back with enough Maple, Cherry, and Hickory to make about 5 more cutting boards. There's more under the CNC. Actually, he's saving scraps for me and told me to get all I care to load up. I'll make sure to give him one of the cutting boards!

So David what does unsteamed mean? A flooring mill I worked at use to use steam for the heat in their kiln. Other than that I don't understand.

·
Super Moderator
David
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pretty neat how things work out. Maybe you could make some cutting boards for his customers?
I plan to offer that to him since he's the largest cabinet shop in town and the only one building his own doors. There are a few very large millwork shops but they don't make their own components. He deals with the contractors about 90% of the time and not the end user but I'll see if we can work something out. Thanks, Tom!

Must be nice to have a friend who gives you free wood that is good quality. Could you make something for your friend as a "Thank you?"
Matter of fact I told him yesterday that I'll make him a cutting board and he was actually excited about it so that's a good thing.

So David what does unsteamed mean? A flooring mill I worked at use to use steam for the heat in their kiln. Other than that I don't understand.
The contrast between sapwood and heartwood in Walnut is extreme so most Walnut gets steamed to blend (bleed) some of the rich color of the heartwood over to the sapwood. That gives a much higher yield for the tree and pretty much means that if you go to a lumber yard and buy 4 boards they're going to be about identical in color. When people order cabinets or furniture or trim in Walnut they expect a uniform color most of the time.

To me steamed Walnut is nice but can be rather bland at times. Unsteamed Walnut has much greater iridescence and shimmer, is far richer in color, and I actually like that no two boards are the same. There are some cases where the bright color of the sapwood needs to be toned down but in most cases, at least for my own work, I leave it alone and finish it naturally.

Here are a couple of boards I grabbed for example (the board to the left is Maple; it's my 'remote control' for turning on my shop vac) -

·
Registered
61 Posts
very good score, and it always pays to know someone, somewhere!
and with scores like that you always want to pay it forward and
making a cutting board for your friend is a good idea!

Reactions: difalkner

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Best of luck with the score...and good of you to pay back...

Reactions: difalkner

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I plan to offer that to him since he's the largest cabinet shop in town and the only one building his own doors. There are a few very large millwork shops but they don't make their own components. He deals with the contractors about 90% of the time and not the end user but I'll see if we can work something out. Thanks, Tom!

Matter of fact I told him yesterday that I'll make him a cutting board and he was actually excited about it so that's a good thing.

The contrast between sapwood and heartwood in Walnut is extreme so most Walnut gets steamed to blend (bleed) some of the rich color of the heartwood over to the sapwood. That gives a much higher yield for the tree and pretty much means that if you go to a lumber yard and buy 4 boards they're going to be about identical in color. When people order cabinets or furniture or trim in Walnut they expect a uniform color most of the time.

To me steamed Walnut is nice but can be rather bland at times. Unsteamed Walnut has much greater iridescence and shimmer, is far richer in color, and I actually like that no two boards are the same. There are some cases where the bright color of the sapwood needs to be toned down but in most cases, at least for my own work, I leave it alone and finish it naturally.

Here are a couple of boards I grabbed for example (the board to the left is Maple; it's my 'remote control' for turning on my shop vac) -
Thanks David now I understand. I have heard of doing that but just forgot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts