Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This subject comes up frequently on the forum so I took a moment and looked at this article when I saw it.

https://www.thehandymansdaughter.com/miter-saw-dust-collection/

I have always been interested in the Rosseau hood but, like the author, thought that it was over priced, particularly since I don't use the saw that much, but the fold up design would be good because the the limited space and the need to store it away when not using it. So, I read the article where the author made a similar version using a baby tent

https://www.thehandymansdaughter.com/miter-saw-dust-collection/

Not sure how small it's going to pack away, but looks interesting enough to check it out some more.

Depending on the saw, it looks as if it could sit further back inside and maybe get more sawdust collected.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Thanks, Tom. Catching the dust from a mitre saw is a hard is hard to do. The one I have is similar to one of those in your link but not as nice. Putting the piece of carpet (throw rug) hanging down helped to keep some of the fine dust from coming out the front.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
I've got a Chopshop saw hood on my Bosch Glider. Not 100% happy but it's better than nothing. I guess I'm containing 85-90% of the dust.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Thanks, Tom. Catching the dust from a mitre saw is a hard is hard to do. The one I have is similar to one of those in your link but not as nice. Putting the piece of carpet (throw rug) hanging down helped to keep some of the fine dust from coming out the front.

I have a similar set up to yours. One additional thing that I did is to attach the top with strap hinges so that it closes down as the saw blade is lowered into the wood. The top just rests on the saw handle and moves up and down with the saw. It really makes a big difference in containing the dust. Note: the handle on my saw is vertical (it's and oldy model)....not horizontal like yours.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I just used a large plastic storage box laid over on it's side....

Reactions: Pots43

·
Premium Member
20,509 Posts
I hung a clear plastic shower curtain behind my 10 inch sliding miter, which sits on a steel framed table. The curtain wraps around the sides just shy of the fence on each side. The bottom is gathered into a box with a dust collection port on the bottom. I used aluminum duct tape to secure the shortened curtain to the inside of the box, which is just a small plastic tub. The table is enclosed and has a door, which keeps stray dust out.

The top of the curtain is syspended by conventional shower curtain loop, and I’ve taped a piece of the cutoff into the top so it hangs down near the level of the saw. If I were doing it over, I'd simply staple the curtain to a plywood top, so I could run a DC 2 1/2 hose through it to the DC port on the saw.

My Bosch saw has mediocre dust port just behind the saw, which I plan to modify. I’ll use some aluminum flashing to wrap around the port and extend down as far as possible just behind the blade, so it also clears the fence. With ample suction on the port, plus the curtain, I expect to catch 75-80 percent (or hopefully more) of the flying sawdust.

I suppose it would be possible to make this portable by making a framework of tent poles or the like, but for my shop this has really helped when I do use the saw. I haven't had the time to install the aluminum dust catcher yet. Will probably test mount it with double sided tape and once it works, add a couple of small bolts.

Final thing is that I now make a first shallow cut pulling the blade forward, then finish the deeper cut pushing it back. This creates a channel for sawdust to go back so the saw shoots directly back into the collection areas and very little goes out the sides and front using this technique. Used to have a picture of the rig somewhere, but can't find it now. Cheap and easy solution inside the shop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.