Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The CNC Router we purchase did not come with a functional dust skirt as promised due to the aggregate being attached. We found that when cutting dense waterproof material the debris in the woodshop was extreme.

In efforts to avoid this issue we took off the aggregate to put the dust skirt on but we still are not getting the suction or results we would like.

Is excess wood debris in the shop a real health hazard when working? Should our employees be wearing respirators until we get this issue resolved? Is this something the manufacturer should have disclosed to us when buying the equipment?

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
The CNC Router we purchase did not come with a functional dust skirt as promised due to the aggregate being attached. We found that when cutting dense waterproof material the debris in the woodshop was extreme.

In efforts to avoid this issue we took off the aggregate to put the dust skirt on but we still are not getting the suction or results we would like.

Is excess wood debris in the shop a real health hazard when working? Should our employees be wearing respirators until we get this issue resolved? Is this something the manufacturer should have disclosed to us when buying the equipment?
Hi Mallory. Welcome to our little corner of the 'net.

Wood dust is a known carcinogen, so I would say a definite yes, a dust mask or some other type of approved respiratory protection should be used.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

I agree to what Brian says...
what are you using for a dust collector and what size porting???

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We are using the dust collector that came with the machine. We ended up extending a piece of HVAC duct to reach just above the spoil board.

The vacuum attached is a Delta 1HP Cloth Bagged Shop Dust Collector, but we still aren't getting good suction. We have a brand new durable plastic spiral hose attached to the ceiling on a rod that allows the tubing to move freely and easily with the CNC head.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stock Dust Skirt

The dust skirt in place is what came stock with the machine. We ended up putting an extension of HVAC piping from the vacuum tube toward the spoil board to get a closer pull from the vacuum but it still isn't enough.

We have a Delta 1HP Cloth Bagged Shop Dust Collector attached with brand new metal spiral enforced plastic hose attached to ceiling that ghosts the head over top the machine to move freely without obstruction.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
The dust skirt in place is what came stock with the machine. We ended up putting an extension of HVAC piping from the vacuum tube toward the spoil board to get a closer pull from the vacuum but it still isn't enough.

We have a Delta 1HP Cloth Bagged Shop Dust Collector attached with brand new metal spiral enforced plastic hose attached to ceiling that ghosts the head over top the machine to move freely without obstruction.
okay...
so how many feet of pipe are you using...
WTB you haven't the air flow you need to remove the saw dust...
have you considered a larger unit like the jet 1100???

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The section of HVAC is 2 1/2 feet long extended above spindle unit and connected to the vacuum hose. We lowered the piping to reach further than the bottom of the dust skirt just about to the height of the bottom of the bristles on the dust skirt.

We purchased this vacuum because it was what was recommended by the manufacturer. Perhaps an upgrade would be well worth it.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
The section of HVAC is 2 1/2 feet long extended above spindle unit and connected to the vacuum hose. We lowered the piping to reach further than the bottom of the dust skirt just about to the height of the bottom of the bristles on the dust skirt.

We purchased this vacuum because it was what was recommended by the manufacturer. Perhaps an upgrade would be well worth it.
that jet is very quiet too...
the Powermatic is even better...
as long as you don't restrict the airflow they will collect dust...

http://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/dc-...hp-1ph-115-230v-2-micron-canister-kit/708659K

POWERMATIC ® -

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are a few pictures. The head is resting on a wooden block because otherwise the head bangs down onto the spoil board when machine and air compressor are turned off. The HVAC extends an extra few inches below the block to get closer to the table when machine is cutting.

Hope this helps, thanks for your time!

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I'd like to see some pictures of the setup. If the manufacturer recommend it, then it should work.
I had that collector dedicated to my re-saw bandsaw w/ a wye and 2ea 4" pick ups...
it sure left a lot to desired...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thankyou for the pictures Mallory. Your DC is a Delta AP400, and rated at 650 CFM. I can see a couple things that you can try to increase airflow. First, any sharp bends in the hose or piping is a airflow killer, and a place to clog. I can see several nasty bends in the dust hose, one going into the DC, one where the hose is hanging from the rafter, and another where the hose goes into the CNC machine. Next is your flex pipe, the less the better, hard pipe in what you can and use large radius elbows where elbows are needed, I also think that the ducting could be shortened up ALOT. After all that the best you can do is check to make sure that your impeller isn't wrapped up in stringy shavings, and that the bag is clean. Turn the bag inside out and vac it off works well. An air filtration unit can also lessen the amount of dust in the air. A dust respirator is always a good idea, expecting a dust collector to get everything is usually pretty unrealistic, but it should keep your shop cleanup time down, and less dust settling on everything. Have you asked the manufacturer if they have pictures of that same setup that is working for others ?

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Stick, I believe you. I would think that two 4" pickups would be really pushing it for a 1 hp dust collector.
I stand corrected...
looked up that model and the one I had 1.5HP...
specs said 1200CFM for the 1.5 horse...
I don't believe that on a good day...

the DC ports on the BS were 4".. one upper, one lower...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Stick, was it the Delta 50-760 ? If so, thats the one that I have, and I like it alot. I added an onboard separator to it, which has a Thien style baffle in it. I generally just use one 4", moving it from machine to machine. I think that if a person wants a ducted system with blast gates and all, I wouldn't go lower then 2 hp. And I don't mean an over rated CFM Harbor Frieght 2 hp dust collector.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Stick, was it the Delta 50-760 ? If so, thats the one that I have, and I like it a lot. I added an on-board separator to it, which has a Thien style baffle in it. I generally just use one 4". I move it from machine to machine. I think that if a person wants a ducted system with blast gates and all, I wouldn't go lower then 2 hp. And I don't mean an over rated CFM Harbor Freight 2 hp dust collector.
it looked just like the 400....
there's a Jet 1100 on the re-saw saw now... works great..
this is what's there for the ducted shop... they were part of a bankruptcy sale...
instead of the drums there's wheeled carts...

http://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=XXK070323&CatId={E2D6BE6D-A9B1-4F95-A716-44521A11896C}
http://www.oneida-air.com/PDF/10-hp-direct-drive-quick-quote-2014-web.pdf

·
Registered
34 Posts
Stick. The 50-760 is fairly similar and is 1 1/2 hp. Thats quite the industrial dust collection system that you posted too. 10 hp. Let me throw this at you, lets say that he ups his dust collector in HP for his CNC, how much airflow will pass through a 4" line before having to go with a larger diameter line, and still run the DC efficiently with the least restraint on the motor ? This is what I just found on the internet. A 4” hose will carry about 350 cfm, while a 5” hose will handle around 550 cfm. Which I'm guessing would be at fairly short distances, 10 ft to 15 ft of smooth wall ducting ?

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Stick. The 50-760 is fairly similar and is 1 1/2 hp. Thats quite the industrial dust collection system that you posted too. 10 hp. Let me throw this at you, lets say that he ups his dust collector in HP for his CNC, how much airflow will pass through a 4" line before having to go with larger diameter line, and still run the DC efficiently with the least restraint on the motor ?
350/400 CFM....
from what he showed us he's crippling his system...
add a 1/2 to 3/4 HP...
jump to a 6" trunk in hard pipe and a pair of 4" pickups at the machine...
use as little flex as possible and go w/ sweeps instead of 90's...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you both for your feedback! I am going to discuss this with my father.

Unfortunately, on the manufacturer's website, they do not provide any pictures with the dust skirt in place.

However, after doing just a little bit of research, I was able to find pictures online of other owners (same model and series) that have a similar hook up.

The reason we have, ultimately, come up with what we have is to allow plenty of movement for the head to move freely to all corners without the vacuum being in the way or limited to ghosting the head. Of course we would prefer to have less hose, therefore, more suction, but this would then limit the movement of the vacuum.

Considering the suggestions made, by looking at others people's set up, they seem to be worse off than we are. We couldn't expect for every particle to be picked up by the vacuum, however, you would hope that the manufacturer would be more helpful in guiding their customers with advice on how to properly connect the dust skirt to avoid having to wear respirators. Or, at least, disclose that the use of a respirator is highly recommended when cutting MDF, with or without a dust skirt.

Thanks again! More soon!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts