Router Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so over time I have accidentally cut/punctured/poked a hole in the clear bag far to many times, sometimes just by grazing it and not knowing it. So I decided to find a barrel and replace it once and for all. I came across a 15 gallon white barrel, it was big enough coupled with the separator I have inline that it will not fill all that quickly. I figure this barrel will need emptying once for every 6 or 8 times the separator needs emptying. In my small one man shop that translates to probably 5 or 6 times a year....
I just made the bottom from 3/4" plywood I had and made a tight fit in the bottom of the dust collector housing, I then offset a hole again tight fit for the barrel. I positioned the opening just inches after the deflector inside the housing so anything coming in will have the most opening coming off the ramp and will drop instead of centering it. I made the bottom plywood sealed and screwed to housing but barrel is only tight fit with foil tape. I'd rather replace the 4 feet of foil tape a few times a year then buy bags. by the way I tested the tight fit of the barrel and foil tape by filling it with water to see how much it would hold before it let go.....and surprisingly it was a little over half So in saying that when it gets half full of fine saw dust it won't be anywhere near the weight of water. (did the water test before assembly) Sorry for the poor quality pics I almost forgot to take them.....
I put a light in behind the white barrel so I could see it's level.
all sealed up and it works good.......no more bags no more holes... here is a short video ....

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys ..got the barrel from a local car wash for a song and I can't sing....lol

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
Neat idea Tony !
Would be kinda cool if there was a lid for it while transporting after its full

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I'm guessing that it was either a soap barrel or a wax barrel so it had a lid to start with. Question is whether they destroyed it taking it off.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys, no it was the type that has 2 screwed caps so I cut the top off. not worried about a lid, as it will get emptied outside in a box one of my buddy always wants it.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Great idea. I've been looking down that path myself and found a company that makes thick walled cardboard barrels in various diameters and cuts them to whatever height you want - 500mm x 800mm would fit my extractor spot on.
They should be cheap and fit the separator exactly. Just another avenue to look at if you go down that path.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts