Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys , I’m really liking this dust collector design , as you can see the bit , but I’m not seeeing a lot of material escaping. Not sure how important it is to see the bit , but when I build one , I want something similar .
Just thought someone may be able to look at it and design there own system .

·
Registered
198 Posts
Fastcap sells a brush that can be bought by the foot if they are looking to make something similar

In woodworking there is always more then one way to accomplish something.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
The best designs I've seen for dust collector brushes include the ability to adjust the height of the brush relative to the bit being used. Those with an attachment on the router lose effectiveness when a long bit is used, and can bend into the bit path when a short bit is used. Attaching to a fixed height point on the gantry rather than on the moving router itself is one way to separate the brush height from the router/bit height.

Spindles/routers with an internal fan that blows down when spinning can also reduce the effectiveness of any strategy.

4D

·
Registered
460 Posts
What about these from McMaster ?

Tight-Seal Strip Brushes

A few different lengths, metal backing, easy to cut and easy to shape.
just route the groove and press it in. Done.

Cant do the adjustable boot? Then make a few different sizes.

The jobs vac boot does one drop so I had to make a few diff sizes.

All in all, if material wants out, it's out.

These were also used where the gantry rolls along the edges
to keep the crap out of the tracks and the motors clean.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I use a circular plastic nut container with an exhaust port on one side 4in reduced to 2 in, adjustable not floating, but I can see here that
possibly mine with 2 ports left and right would be more efficient .
I need to see my bit and I can now through the plastic and I use a router that really pushes the air so maybe a 2 feed system might pick up better
never thought of that

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts