Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys/gals
I have a Trend T11 Router that is mounted under a Kreg router table most of the time. The bottom (nearest the collet) bearing has packed up in less than 12 months. Any ideas how to extract the dust/chippings from under the table, to prevent them from entering the motor.
I work in West Africa, so buying "off the shelf" items is very difficult. I have been trying to think of a custom made vacuum head. I have a proper router vacuum, which is hooked up to the table fence.

Cheers for now
Roger

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
one approach

One approach is to build an enclosure, with a dust extraction port. around the router below the table, and then attach another vacuum (assuming you don't have a large dust collection system). Part of the trick is to balance the volume of air intake (holes, etc.) to the suction of the vacuum, so you get good flow.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Roger

The trick is to get it right at the point where the dust comes into the cabinet, many routers come with a pickup tube,use it on the router in the cabinet ,,,,
if yours didn't come with one just make one with some Hvy.wall PVC pipe,cut a hole in the PVC tubing to fit your vac.hose, it will suck up all the dust for you..

=======

·
Official Greeter
19,050 Posts
Hi Roger,

Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Greetings Roger and welcome to the router forum. Thank you for joining us, and remember to have fun, build well and above all be safe.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Hi guys/gals
I have a Trend T11 Router that is mounted under a Kreg router table most of the time. The bottom (nearest the collet) bearing has packed up in less than 12 months. Any ideas how to extract the dust/chippings from under the table, to prevent them from entering the motor.
I work in West Africa, so buying "off the shelf" items is very difficult. I have been trying to think of a custom made vacuum head. I have a proper router vacuum, which is hooked up to the table fence.

Cheers for now
Roger
Hi Roger:

There is a thread on one of the forums specifically for options for dust collection:

http://www.routerforums.com/shop-sa...collection-solutions-comments.html#post186623

There includes dust collection that is store-bought or home made and some are well researched too. Well worth your taking a detailed look.

Glad to have someone from Sierra Leone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys/gals

Cheers for now
Roger
Hello Roger

Have just joined Router forums as I've just bought a T11 and the 1st thing I read
is your issue with a blown bearing.
Hope you resolved the problem.

I will be getting a Woodrat as i prefer cutting tools to be above the work so I can see what is going on (ex toolmaker).

My thought on having traditional table are why have dust and cuttings falling onto the router housing and damaging the motor - also a possible safety hazzard with fire?

Anyway I'm rambling again hope you sorted out the issue and perhaps you should crate a new post as to what you did.

regards

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Welcome, I hope all works well with dust collection. Good luck finding what You need in Your area of the world...

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
One advantage of having a plate mounted router is the fact you can lift it out of the table easily and blow out the dust and swarf with low pressure compressed air. Doing this on a regular basis is the best solution I have found. I will soon be posting a "sticky thread" which will show at the top of the table mounted routing section on a new table build. One of the features will be under the table dust collection you can easily build; this will adapt to most router tables.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts