Router Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yet again I have a nick in my blades for the DW 735. The first time it was caused by a loose knot getting thrown around in there. I should have known better. Now I have 2 nicks and I don't know why. I know for sure it wasn't a knot (lesson learned ). I would like to have a Byrd Tool Shelix cutter but the cheapest I have found one is $395. I do know that Inifinity has an after market blade for the DW 735 but I know nothing about it. I know that a lot of people have a DW 735 so what are y'all doing about your blades?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Last blades I purchased for my 20" Grizzly came from Infinity Tools, they are a little more expensive than some others but a very high quality blade. That is the one thing that kept me from getting a 735 is not being able to sharpen the blades.
I did get the shelix head in my 15" Grizzly (sold the 20") and love it. If you can do it put the money from this set of blades toward a new head, it will pay for itself long term.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Last blades I purchased for my 20" Grizzly came from Infinity Tools, they are a little more expensive than some others but a very high quality blade. That is the one thing that kept me from getting a 735 is not being able to sharpen the blades.
I did get the shelix head in my 15" Grizzly (sold the 20") and love it. If you can do it put the money from this set of blades toward a new head, it will pay for itself long term.
At 75 I don't know about long term. :laugh2:

·
Registered
257 Posts
I bought my 735 in 2010, and I don't know how many sets of blades I replaced. I finally got tired of blade replacement and decided to upgrade to a Byrd head. I almost bought the Infinity set, but I realized I would have to buy 2 sets. I would need a replacement while I sent the others out for sharpening. I added up the initial cost, plus the cost of shipping and sharpening, and realized that it would not be very long until I had paid for the helical head. For me it was a "buy once, cry once" situation. Add in the wonderful cut quality, and noise reduction the head provides, I wish I had done it years ago. Replacing the cutter head was easy, it took me little over an hour.

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,189 Posts
We just got our 735 and it was the X model so it came with extra blades. When the time comes I'll have to weigh the options just as you are doing. But I have read very good things about the Infinity blades and one of the things I have read is that they are thicker than the OEM 735 blades and they can be sharpened far easier. I would probably do my own sharpening but I also like the idea of having a Byrd head instead. Not that that helps but what I've read leads me to believe the Infinity blades are a good purchase.

David

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Before you trash the chipped blades, you can loosen the one with the chip and move it slightly one way or the other. Then tighten it back up. If you do this, you will be moving the nick to where one of the other blades will cover for it, leaving a smooth board surface. Careful re-positioning of all three blades should allow you to use the set of blades long after they have acquired many chips. Only replace them when they are dull, or have too many chips.

I don't use my 735 much, but when I do, it gets a heavy work out. I'm still on the second side of the first set of blades. I've got two more new sets of blades waiting that I got cheap from a guy that put a shelix head in his 735. I'll replace the blades when I can't make the originals work satisfactorily.

Charley

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I seem to get a lot of mileage out of my blades, and since you can turn them they last twice as long. I don't remember the last set I bought but I know that you can tell the difference between a new and old set. I do have an old set laying around that I always use when I am using salvaged wood or when I'm using the planer to remove paint from old wood. I wouldn't mind getting a helical head but I don't think it would pay for itself.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Bob I hope when I go it's with my shop apron on and a saw in my hand. How about you.

I was thinking more on the lines of being on a blonde or redhead-- - if not in my hunting shack.

Reactions: DaninVan

·
Registered
230 Posts
I really like the Byrd head. I wish I had upgraded sooner. It's not just a sharpening advantage. The planed surface you get is also much nicer. It's also much quieter, which I bet is related to the better cut quality.
The Byrd head is by far the best choices. It’s best to get the Byrd Helix that matches the diameter of the OEM head. You have to remove and reinstall the teeth if you get the OEM sized It’s not that hard to manually re-insert the teeth in afterwards.

The 1/16th offset causes a couple of headaches that doesn’t make it worth not getting the correct OEM sized Byrd

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yet again I have a nick in my blades for the DW 735. The first time it was caused by a loose knot getting thrown around in there. I should have known better. Now I have 2 nicks and I don't know why. I know for sure it wasn't a knot (lesson learned ). I would like to have a Byrd Tool Shelix cutter but the cheapest I have found one is $395. I do know that Inifinity has an after market blade for the DW 735 but I know nothing about it. I know that a lot of people have a DW 735 so what are y'all doing about your blades?
The Infinity HSS knives are a lot tougher than the DeWalt knives and last a lot longer as far as staying sharp. Any knife will chip if it hits a harder particle in the board like dirt or sand, making sure your stock is clean before running it through will help. You won't see a track from a Byrd head because there are so many individual cutters, the first cutter that hits the grit takes it out and the cutters behind it clean up the track it left.

The Shelix head is a great upgrade for the 735, I had one on mine. Be aware that it will put more strain on the motor, on a typical 15A circuit if you make heavy cuts you're apt to trip the breaker. I think that's why the original heads were undersized and limited you to a 1/32" cut.

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Before you trash the chipped blades, you can loosen the one with the chip and move it slightly one way or the other. Then tighten it back up. If you do this, you will be moving the nick to where one of the other blades will cover for it, leaving a smooth board surface. Careful re-positioning of all three blades should allow you to use the set of blades long after they have acquired many chips. Only replace them when they are dull, or have too many chips.

I don't use my 735 much, but when I do, it gets a heavy work out. I'm still on the second side of the first set of blades. I've got two more new sets of blades waiting that I got cheap from a guy that put a shelix head in his 735. I'll replace the blades when I can't make the originals work satisfactorily.

Charley
On the 735 I had the blades had a locator pins and hole in the blade. As I remember that the blades could be slid less than 1/32" either way,if that much.
Also I ordered a set of blades from infinity, the first set were a tad too thick, I called them and they sent another set that worked OK. The thickness of the first set caused the bolt heads to rub on the board as it planed and leave burn marks.
The infinity blade did have about twice as much carbide as the Original manufactured blade had.
Herb

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.