Router Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this normal for a new DW625? I tried toremove the 1/2" collet to install the 1/4" and is was a real nightmare trying to pull the old one out. Once I had finished with the 1/4" I wanted to change back again to the 1/2" and guess what..... it was a real pain getting the 1/4" out.

Is there some trick I'm missing or is it designed for super strong men (or weirdly string women) to change?

Should I make a jig (hole in a chunk of 2x4) and use a dowel to knowck it out?

Any help gratefully received.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Cancel my request for help. I've bought a couple of new collet nuts so I can just change the whole thing. Less time wasting and hastle.
:)

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Cancel my request for help. I've bought a couple of new collet nuts so I can just change the whole thing. Less time wasting and hastle.
are you saying you are nuts and there is no help for ya...

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
SO if I understand correctly, you now have a collet nut with a 1/2" collet in it and one with a 1/4" collet in it? That's a smart way to go.

Herb

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@stick

I thought that was a pre-requisite of being a member of this forum :D

SO if I understand correctly, you now have a collet nut with a 1/2" collet in it and one with a 1/4" collet in it? That's a smart way to go.
I have an 8mm too Herb, so I bought 2 nuts, plus the one I already have that has the 1/2" collet. Apparently this is not the first collet that won't come out of the nut, someone on another forum had the same problem. They bought another nut for another reason (they stripped the threads, heaven knows how) and found the collets easily changeable, they put it down to a machining defect. Still, will be quicker to just swap out the whole thing as the nut has to come off to change the collet anyway.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are stated as being 'genuine' so I'm hoping they fit. If not, back they go ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mine was exactly the same. De Walt UK were most unhelpful and said it was normal to have to use personal to pull the collet out of the nut. Hard to do without damaging the collet. Spare nut is the best idea but they charge far too much for it. My other router came with both collet in their own nuts.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mike, I got the two nuts for £5.20 each posted. Now I'm worried they aren't the right ones!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not bad if they fit. Best I can find is £7.99 + post from Part Shpop Direct UK. Axminster now only sells the nut complete with an 8mm collet for about £15 + post. I can't find the nut alone on their website now. In the end I have just used a 1/2" to 1/4" sleeve which was about £3 delivered with some other stuff. As I rarely use 1/4" bits it will do and runs smoothly.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The new Bosch I just got came with the nuts on the collects. When you unscrew the nut the collect come out with the nut. Also the collect with nut makes a bigger piece which makes it harder to loose

·
Registered
657 Posts
The new Bosch I just got came with the nuts on the collects. When you unscrew the nut the collect come out with the nut. Also the collect with nut makes a bigger piece which makes it harder to loose
The Crafstman also came with the nuts on the collets. Easy work. :wink:

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, since starting this thread my 2 new collet nuts arrived, as did the 8mm collet. The nuts look, feel and weigh the same as the original DW one that came with the router, and the thread is just right.

These new ones were obviously machined on a Monday (as opposed to a Friday), as the collets come out easier, but now I don't have to bother, with all three lined up ready for action.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts