Router Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rockler has this unit on sale for $300 plus an extra needle and free shipping. I have been looking at this for a while and this is a good price with the extra needle. The reviews that I have seen are very good but $300 is still a lot of money. The only spraying I have done is with a rattle can so I would appreciate your comments on this.

Thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have this unit and have had no problems with it. I have used it on a few larger projects with mainly lacquer and the finishes are very good. I am an amateur sprayer but am very pleased with the results. Sure does take a lot of paint when using a sprayer but I suppose with four coats on a large setback, that is to be expected. I don't think you can go wrong with this one.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
The standard kit (even from other vendors) comes with both 2.0 and 1.5 sized needles (there is an optional 2.5 needle). So the "free 1.5 needle"... is standard and has always been free. The marked down price is still higher than some other vendors. Amazon is $292 and free shipping. But Rockler has always treated me right with their customer support.

Is is a good deal? IMHO? Depends on what you are looking for. That kit includes it's own little compressor, hose and HVLP siphon feed gun. So if went to a big box store you got a pancake compressor/finish gun combo and a good HPLV gun... it would be about the same price or just a little more, right?

With any spray gun there is going to be a learning curve. With a rattle can, there is no thinning and no adjustments necessary. If you need less than a can worth of painting, no worries. A bit more to think on with a spray gun. Cleanup is a must, and you can't put it off.

Not trying to talk you out of it, cause I have a few here I use. Just saying, there is a learning curve to get in that mindset. For small amounts, I like a gravity feed gun. Larger amounts, I use a siphon. Large amounts, I use a remote tank siphon. Cleanup is easier on my siphons, as I use disposable liners in the cups/tanks. On 1 of my gravity feeds, I can use a disposible cup, but over time, that adds up, so I still reuse even the disposables cups.

Not sure in that small a system that you need to worry about dry air(?) Since the system is so small and there is no storage tank, it might not have much of a problem, but if it does, in a humid area... it doesn't look like you can hook a drier into it... IDK. Mine, I do... but a larger system.

Over time, it pays off. It is cheaper to use a spray gun than rattle cans. And I think it comes out with a better finish.

Reactions: hawkeye10

·
Registered
813 Posts
Suggestion: go to Harbor Freight and buy one of their inexpensive HVLP sprayers (assuming you have a compressor) and give it a try. That will tell you whether you need something better (and more expensive). I have enjoyed rebuilding classic airplanes for years and have used both the cheap HVLP and the the expensive units. The big difference was the high $$$ units heated the paint and it had a better flow. For general use there was nothing wrong with the inexpensive HF unit. For my craft items I used the $55 HF unit and that was all I needed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Actually on Amazon,

If you look under the Price here There is a button to CLIP a 20.00 coupon for it. It'll be under 300 easily. Has good reviews.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts