Router Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to woodworking and want to buy an economical set of tongue and groove router bits. Has anyone had any experience with the 1/2 inch 11 piece router bit set found on Ebay. The Ebay vendor is ghsu2ia3 (20205). This appears to be a good bargain if the quality is there. I prefer USA made products but have no objections if the set is made in China if the quality is up to par.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
i hope they are OK quality, because they have a lock miter bit for $14. Normally those cost more like $45.

Based solely on that, my guess is that the quality is bound to be low ... you know the saying, "you usually get what you pay for"

·
Official Greeter
19,118 Posts
G'day James. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
It's tough to say but from my experience I have found that all of the "cheap" bits I have bought over the years they have all lasted. With some of these sets you can pay on average $2 or $3 dollars a bit. At that price unless they are completely useless you will get your moneys worth. Most bits aren't used that much so being a cheap one is enough to get you by. If you find that you are using one over and over again then at that point you can invest in a more expensive one. I bought a cheap set off Ebay 10 years ago and still have not used some of the profiles. The ones I have used have held up fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Chris. I am leary of them because they are cheap compared to name brand bits. I'm inclined to go with name brand. I have been reviewing the sommerfeld bits.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I am leary of them because they are cheap compared to name brand bits. I'm inclined to go with name brand. I have been reviewing the sommerfeld bits.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply. I'm still on the fence regarding this set versus a name brand set. Hopefully I will get a reply from someone that has used this specific set.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I am new to woodworking and want to buy an economical set of tongue and groove router bits. Has anyone had any experience with the 1/2 inch 11 piece router bit set found on Ebay. The Ebay vendor is ghsu2ia3 (20205). This appears to be a good bargain if the quality is there. I prefer USA made products but have no objections if the set is made in China if the quality is up to par.
Hi Jim - I have several of his bits and for the most part are decent quality for the money. Not Sommerfeld, Whiteside or Amana but also no where near the price. As far as that particular set, I have a smaller, 5 piece, set that he sold a couple of years ago and it has been fine. I don't do an awful lot of tongue and groove but I haven't needed to replace any of it yet. As with most, roundovers are one of my most used bits and I ran his 6 piece roundover set for over two years before I started replacing/upgrading. He also has a two piece wedge type tongue and groove set that works very well.
George gets his bits directly from the factory in China and also travels back at least once a year to maintain social alliances necessary for getting good products out of China. The Chinese aren't incapable of producing quality products, the problem arrises when the bean counting MBA's here in the US companies pencil whip the quality out to get the profit margins they want. The Chinese build to spec, what you specify, they build. :bad:

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've bought from him several times too, happy enough with the price v quality equation. Some of the bearings on template bits I've got from him are poor - the bit can over or undercut the bearing, and the bearings have short lives. I'll buy from him again, I can say no more than that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Jschaben. You have provided the answer I was looking for. I'm a newbie and will be using the set in a learning mode. Once I feel comfortable in knowing what I am doing, I will then move to name brand tongue and groove. I have decided that I will give them a try. Once I have used them for a while I will post the results on this forum.

·
Registered
Theo
7,182 Posts
Regardless of quality, I just have a thing against buying a multiple set of bits, or whatever; fine for some people, but I just don't like to do it. I always wind up with the majority of whatever just collecting dust. Now I am much happier just buying whatever bit I need at the time. Don't know if I save money doing it, but it's what I prefer. I also go to the hardware store and doing my buying.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Jim I have used some of these bits. Some wear out Quickly. I have used some from EDM (edmwholesalers) on ebay that are pretty descent bits. I have given several sets of these to friends and family members. I used 1 flush trim bit out of a set I had given a friend to cut out all of the new fiberboard siding over the windows on his whole house and it still cuts and looks great. The siding was just put over the whole house windows and all then the flush trim was used to cut out the windows. after doing this I built a kitchen island and used that same flush trim bit with no problems. For the major bits I use for in shop projects I buy Whiteside from Amazon.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
HI Jim

I also have many of his bits and 2 or 3 of his sets of bits and without any problems I think I have about 250 of his bits it's true not the best but you must start somewhere I use his feedback as rule and is 21,000 items sold and at 99.9% pos.so I must not be the only that likes his bits.
In time you will need to buy more bits of the high end type like panel bits,T & G bit sets that don't come in sets of the smaller sets that's the time you will buy one at a time,I also buy that type of sets from George and they are OK also..
Many put down the lower price sets but most just don't ,it's not the router it's the routers bits that cost the most..and can put you behind the 8 ball..

==

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Bobj3 for the input. It is good to get a reply from people who have actually used the product. I have decided to give them a try since I am still in the learning mode. I plan to upgrade to name brand bits if these do not prove to be very reliable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts