Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have an edge guide yet and I'm wondering if I should buy one of the ones made by Porter Cable or just make one myself. I'm also curious to know how useful you find one if you use one.

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,785 Posts
I have the old porter cable edge guide, left over from my 693 router, and it works on the 890. I have also used a home-made one in the past, and they both work the same. I have never tried the real expensive porter cable one, and I can't think of a reason that I would need it.

I find the edge guide handy for use on routing the edges of pieces where the router wants to wobble to one side and dig into the work. Any 2 contact point edge guide will work, or doublestick taping a block to your sub base so it will provide support.

The hardest part I had making a home made edge guide was coming up with the screws to clamp the rods into the router base.

One handy edge guide I have is the square baseplate for my router. It is an excellent surface to ride on clamp-n-edge guides for cutting dados.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
paulcomi said:
I don't have an edge guide yet and I'm wondering if I should buy one of the ones made by Porter Cable or just make one myself. I'm also curious to know how useful you find one if you use one.
You gave me an idea....If you used a square base plate and slotted two slots you could have a sliding fence edge underneath with a couple lock knobs and have a very workable home made edge guide. do you think I'd be losing anything by not just buying one?

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,785 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kp91 said:
I don't think so. Plus, I always like coming up with my own solutions to workshop challenges. (that and I am cheap, and don't like to part with any money I don't have to)
http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip063000ws.html
http://popularmechanics.com/home_improvement/workshop/2001/1/router_jigs/index5.phtml
http://www.patwarner.com/edge_guide.html

These should give you a couple of ideas
The first link is a good choice if I made it out of lexan/plexiglas. It really does what I need/want. I guess it comes down to the advantage of a pc edge guide or one like it that it can slide in and lock without having to remove the router base. I do like that first one a lot though. Thanks for posting that link.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have had the #42690 micro-adjust edge guide for my 690 router(s) for quite some now and frankly, it doesn't get all that much use. However, the $48 it set me back those few years ago was suddenly self-justified today when I had a long highly-precise multi-level slot to route out.

I was making the long 1/4" wide slot through a sheet of 3/4 finished particle board -- the through-slot needed a 1/4" deep shoulder on each side.

(Envision a 1/4" deep by 7/16"-wide slot with a 1/4" wide slot 3/4" deep sliced dead down the center for an overall length of 28".)

Without the micro-adjust guide, I could not have pulled it off.

Your smileage might well vary :)

·
Registered
387 Posts
The best edge guide I have seen and used on my routers is the one manufactured by Micro Fence, they make them adaptable to most any router, and also have a circle
guide to add to it they work great. But they are a bit pricey.

Good luck, Woodnut65

·
Registered
4 Posts
The missing information in KP91's posting above... The thread in the PC router base for the screw to clamp the bars is #12-24. I found the screw at the hardware store.

Stan

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
The missing information in KP91's posting above... The thread in the PC router base for the screw to clamp the bars is #12-24. I found the screw at the hardware store.

Stan
Hi Stan - Welcome to the forum:)
I suspect that the issue has been resolved as the thread is 5+ years old:D
Never mind, done the same thing myself... Hope you enjoy your stay with us.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
The best edge guide I've found for any router, besides the one that usually comes with. Is the one from Milescraft, their circle cutting jig. It serves more than just one purpose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Our Home Depot (Waterloo, Iowa) has the Porter Cable #42160 router edge guide marked down from $17 to $4. Can't pass that up. It fits the models 100, 690 and 893.

Stan

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Yes, although the thread was started in 2004, the question is still of interest, particularly to those new to routing.

I use the "Premium" 42690 straight edge guide, and find the micrometer adjustment to be invaluable when "sneaking up" on precise positioning. The $60 MSRP seems pricey, but discounters sell it for around $35.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Warren

I will 2nd that,,they are the best you can by and they also can be adapted to fit many other routers with a hardwood block and make a great cir. jig as well.

Amazon.com: Porter-Cable 42690 Edge Guide (for Models 100, 690, 691, 693, 891, 892, 893 Routers): Home Improvement

Amazon.com: Porter-Cable 42700 Edge Guide (for Models 7518, 7519, 7529, 7536, 7537, 7538, 7539 Routers): Home Improvement

===========

I agree, the P-Cable guide is truly a quality piece of work. Price is high but you'll not have a problem with it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
A circle jig too??!!

Hi Warren

I will 2nd that,,they are the best you can by and they also can be adapted to fit many other routers with a hardwood block and make a great cir. jig as well.

Amazon.com: Porter-Cable 42690 Edge Guide (for Models 100, 690, 691, 693, 891, 892, 893 Routers): Home Improvement

Amazon.com: Porter-Cable 42700 Edge Guide (for Models 7518, 7519, 7529, 7536, 7537, 7538, 7539 Routers): Home Improvement

===========
Hey Bob........it never occurred to me to use it as a circle jig. I'm gonna head down to Sawdust Corral later this morning and take a look at it to see just how to do that. Just a coincidence but I have some smallish circles to cut pretty soon.:wacko:

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
HI Warren

That's great :)
Here's a shot or two what it takes to make it into a GREAT cir. jig,,one jig for two jobs, edge guide and a cir.jig all in one, it will do 3/4" to 14" cir.all with one 1/4" hole drilled into the plate..

=========

Hey Bob........it never occurred to me to use it as a circle jig. I'm gonna head down to Sawdust Corral later this morning and take a look at it to see just how to do that. Just a coincidence but I have some smallish circles to cut pretty soon.:wacko:

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
Circle jig

HI Warren

That's great :)
Here's a shot or two what it takes to make it into a GREAT cir. jig,,one jig for two jobs, edge guide and a cir.jig all in one, it will do 3/4" to 24" cir.all with one 1/4" hole drilled into the plate..

=========
Bob, I hate to appear more dense than I apparently am about some of this stuff but I can't figure out how to do what you are showing. How does the hole up by where the router is mounted allow a "pivot" pin to work. Shouldn't it be at the OTHER end of the jig?
I'm missing something. Sorry.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts