Router Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small (10 X 12) workshop so space is at a premium and I like to get multi-function tools when possible. I want to be able to true edges of small stock (say up to 6" X 1") so they are as straight as possible. (Surface planing or thicknessing isn't a requirement for me.) I was thinking of getting a benchtop jointer/planer but then I wondered about a router table instead. The question is whether I will get an edge as clean and true using a straight router bit and a long fence as I will with the jointer. If I can then I'll get the table and have the routing capabilty as well as the edge planing function.

Is there anything special about the setting up of the table for what I want to do?

Many thanx,

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
That Norm guy who wears plaid shirts has one of the Delta bench top joiners. Never seen him use it on a show. You are correct in your idea that you can get a clean straight edge using your router. All that is required is a true straight edge to clamp as a guide. You can build a handy guide for your router and circular saw by taking a piece of 1/4" thick Masonite (tempered hardboard) 12" wide by whatever length you need and fastening a piece of 1" x 2" hardwood down the center. Then set your router base on the Masonite against the center strip and make a cut. Do the same on the other side with your circular saw. Now you have a straight edge guide that can be clamped to your wood for cutting large panels down to size, cutting dados and truing your edges.

Mike

1 - 2 of 2 Posts