Router Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
21,837 Posts
Boeing makes a great anti rust "sauce" called Boeshield 19. works extraordinarily well to prevent rust. Does not transfer to your wood either. Much better than wax. You can get it online or even through WalMart.
Liquid Bottle Cosmetics Fluid Personal care

·
Registered
Paul
2,115 Posts
That's terrible, Ed. I wonder if you can't lift the roof by wedging in a couple of 2x4s temporarily. It looks like more water could get in.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi Ed,
Thanks for the photos. Sorry for the roof problem. Any chance you could put a temporary pole in the middle to help with the run-off?

You are so effective with your shop area. Such dedication and talent deserves honor and applause. I complement you on you success.
Also you certainly make me ashamed. I am one of those lucky guys who have a rather large area, it is about 25 feet by 40 feet, with a sink, hot water heater and toilet and still lots of room for my few tools. Plus I added 600 square feet as an attached lean to several years back.

But I am still a poor woodworker, but love trying nonetheless. Someday I may be able to do the kind of work you are doing. I am approaching 8 decades and am greatly pleased to hear about folks with your abilities and at least a few years younger.

Thanks for sharing. I may get brave enough to show pictures of my work area.

Marvin Felli, north Texas

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hi Folks,

I see some are suggesting to 'raise the roof' but it's not going to raise.....I've been in it and there's just too much weight. There is a potential for water to get in if the tarp tears but I think it will hold until spring which is really just around the corner.

What I think I need to do once I have a few nice days is take some kind of cutter to the screws simply because I can't work in the space that is afforded by the crushed roof. I'm not really sure what the best tool for that might be but I'll source something at Home Depot or Rona or some such store.

There is good news. I've been able to source new stringers, in fact got enough to make the roof snow proof......so that'll be good. I've also got new screws, bobs and bits coming to help with the job. The really hard part will be getting the roof apart in it's condition but once I can get a bit of a foothold in the shed, it will happen much quicker. Putting the new beams up will be fairly easy. Fixing the existing 'shingles' will take some time and they'll need painting and then I'll source out that rust free spray that you've mention DesertRatTom, thanks for the suggestion.

@marvin, you'll do fine in your shop Marvin, just go in, be safe, get a project you have some passion about and it'll all go swell. Take care while making sawdust.

@TenGees, as you can see from my notes here, lifting is out of the question. I'd like to keep my back but the tarp will keep things ok. We just had a horrific wind storm over the last 3 day where we even lost power and it's held up well. There is a fan in there and it's much drier than it was. It was swamp-like a few weeks ago or whenever it happened but now it's dry and somewhat warm. Should be in relatively good shape when I'm done I think.

This is a fixable thing so I'm really not worried and though there may be some rust on some of the tools, that's also fixable.

Thanks everyone for you kind comments.

Ed...... :)

·
Registered
21,837 Posts
Sounds like things are well in hand for the moment. I had a similar issue with a tarp over the bed of my pickup. It filled with water and sagged, so I had to bail it out with a bucket. I finally propped some 24s under the thing, some going across the bed, and a long one in the center of the other 2x4s Still some water settling but not so much that it would burst through the tarp.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Sounds like things are well in hand for the moment. I had a similar issue with a tarp over the bed of my pickup. It filled with water and sagged, so I had to bail it out with a bucket. I finally propped some 24s under the thing, some going across the bed, and a long one in the center of the other 2x4s Still some water settling but not so much that it would burst through the tarp.
Yes, I wish I could prop it up but I can't move it. I suspect it's to do with the pressure of the collapse and the rather inflexible bend of the parts that's made it difficult, if not impossible to move. I'd rather not damage the roof pieces by trying to 'force' the roof up. Right now the 'shingles' are fixable but if I try to force the roof up, they may become beyond repair and.....I can't get them anymore. They are out of stock.

Ed...... :)

Reactions: jw2170

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So this morning I woke up to a heavy rain with the water collecting on the roof. I've basically cut a hose that needs to be replaced anyway and created a siphon situation that is currently draining the water. I'll probably have to reset it again tonight as the water drains but it's working quite well.

I just checked the roof and after 15 minutes of siphoning it is almost completely drained so yay, good solution. It took all night to build up the water to this morning's level so I have a plan that works until spring.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I've got all the roof parts now, just a matter of several days of nice weather now and removing the roof, installing the new beams, straightening and painting the old roof panels and we'll have the shop back as it was only with better roof because I purchased a couple extra beams as they suggested to make it 'snow' proof.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Glad you're back. Tough getting through a snowy winter up your way.
Yes, winter has been......'interesting'...... but it's almost done. Once it is I'll get to the roof, first thing this spring. The sooner the better as it really needs to be fixed. There is still water getting in through the middle but it's not harming anything and I've put a kitty litter container under it. The entry of the water is rather small but a fair bit came it. The floor is well painted so it's not doing any real harm.

Reactions: thomas1389

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
A little update for you folks. Yesterday and today it took me about 9 hours work to get 1/2 the roof off the shed. It's going to rain tomorrow so I've had to put the tarp back on but I've lifted the center stringer about 2 feet short of where it should be but it's still higher than the edges and I've put a 'stick' on either edge to the top center of the main stringer which is supported by a board. All in all a decent solution to get this show on the road. I'll be straightening and fixing metal pieces most of the next 2 months I think. I'll probably cut some wood to make nice clean edges for those fancy dips and just use sensitive hammer work to unbend much of it. Anyway, the project is well underway now. I've attached a picture of it after about 5-1/2 hours work today. Doesn't look much different but trust me there is a world of difference. It doubt any water will get in now where I had to put a bucket in the center because the rain was getting under the edges. It can't do that now.
Tarpaulin Green Wood Grass Shade

Reactions: TenGees and jw2170

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
So just checked inside the 'tent' to see if there is any water leakage. It's raining more today that it did the day I thought would be wet. As usual the weatherman lies but.....it's pretty good. There is a small 'wear' part on the tarp where some drops are getting it. It's not raining real hard but in a downpour it could be a fair bit of rain gets in. Right now the air circulation is taking care of most of what's getting in and it's not even really getting to any of the shed parts, it's staying on what's left of the roof. The first chance I get when it's dry enough, I'll just put some duct tape over that spot (it's very small) and it will solve the problem. I don't see any other leaks in there so I think I've done a commendable job.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts