Router Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an advertisement from a CNC router bit company featuring this nifty little elephant coin tray in their advertisement. I really like it and would like to make one. I was wondering if it was something in the public domain and available to download. Any ideas where I could get started or should I just try to design my own? Anyone?

Attachments

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,196 Posts
Looks like a simple pocket and an engraving, Gary. Have you fired up Aspire yet? Draw the basic racetrack oval shape, cut a pocket, engrave the elephant on the bottom.

David

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
SHHHHH!!!!!! if you tell everyone how easy this stuff is, everyone's gonna get one and put us out of business!!! 🙂
Ha, not lately. My CNC is coffee 'n cookies.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Looks like a simple pocket and an engraving, Gary. Have you fired up Aspire yet? Draw the basic racetrack oval shape, cut a pocket, engrave the elephant on the bottom.

David
Yes, I did fire up Aspire as soon as the license got transfer over. I then watched their 1st training video, Avalon Nameplate, but there is soooo much to learn.

I also googled "elephant clipart" and "2d elephant clipart" and found a similar design but it didn't have as much detail as the original photo. Is there any other search criteria I could use to find better clip art?

Where does everyone get their clipart from? I downloaded a ton from Vectrics but see the need for more.

Attachments

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,236 Posts
I have found Vectorstock.com to be an excellent source for vector artwork. A quick search for "elephant" showed they have 38,157 vector images available. The images usually cost about $1 each.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts

David
Watch out David. You may want to try Aspire yourself!!

Reactions: difalkner

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,960 Posts
Coloring book pages are a great source, I have used dollar store coloring books for scrollsaw patterns. There are a bunch of online downloadable coloring pages as well.

I use bowl and tray bits for my pockets in projects like this. Clear the bulk with an end mill, finish with the B&T bit

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Yes, I did fire up Aspire as soon as the license got transfer over. I then watched their 1st training video, Avalon Nameplate, but there is soooo much to learn.

I also googled "elephant clipart" and "2d elephant clipart" and found a similar design but it didn't have as much detail as the original photo. Is there any other search criteria I could use to find better clip art?

Where does everyone get their clipart from? I downloaded a ton from Vectrics but see the need for more.
Gary, Go to "Mark Lindsay CNC" on YouTube and start watching his VCarve/Aspire videos for absolute beginners.
https://www.youtube.com/user/dusty82elky/videos

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
Where does everyone get their clipart from?
Mostly I don't. I copy a bunch of photos of whatever, go thru them several times discarding some. Then when I get them mostly gone just take a bit from one, and a bit from another, until I come up with something I like. Easy peasy. If I wanted an exact elephant I would just pick a photo, and draw that out. Just be sure to have a good eraser if you do it my way.

That's how I came up with my Wizards. And believe me, it's Hell to get one of them to stay still for a photograph.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.