Router Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've a 1992 Elu 177e that is reluctant to turn on. The brushes have been replaced and that sort of improved matters by virtue of it actually starting up, but now it can be up to a minute between flicking the switch and the motor beginning to turn.

What's going on?

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Variable speed? If so probably the speed control module. I f you comfortable with electronic repair, probably a bad cap, that easily changed if the board isn't potted!

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I've also seen routers do that that had the on/off switch packed up with sawdust. It wouldn't hurt to try and blow it out with compressed air.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Helen, Due to the HAZARD that can occur by it switching on at random, I suggest you find a repair shop that can diagnose the problem. There are so many things that can cause this from faulty switches, dead spot in the commutators, bad connection, cord wire strands broken from being over stressed, arcing at commutators can be caused by wear from the old brushes... then when you install the new ones they don't match the wear pattern so they arc and cause heat which weakens the spring tension on the brushes which in turn causes more heat! In short , have it looked at by a compitant tech!

·
Registered
Rick
17,578 Posts
Hi guys,

I've a 1992 Elu 177e that is reluctant to turn on. The brushes have been replaced and that sort of improved matters by virtue of it actually starting up, but now it can be up to a minute between flicking the switch and the motor beginning to turn.

What's going on?

Cheers,
I had a girl friend like that once . Can't remember the fix though

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I believe the OP was hoping to get help for fixing a router problem guys.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is a really good router. While you may spend a fair amount of money repairing this router, once you have it repaired, it will be an excellent router again. A couple of easy things to verify: make sure the magnetic disk on the top of the armature is intact--it looks like a thick washer. This little magnet can sometimes split giving a false signal to the speed sensor. If that is good then check to be sure the switch is actually providing power reliably. Check the voltage on the switch with a volt meter. If the magnetic disk is intact, and the switch is providing power, then it is likely your router's PC board is bad. In the USA, this PC board is available from Dewalt for $56. If you go to the expense of changing the PC board, then I would change the bearings in the router too--when I have more time, I am going to post a YouTube video how to change the bearings in this (and the Dewalt 625) router.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.