Router Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure where this should go but here is where I'm putting it.......

BobandRick I see you use the single bit to make the pass down the veneer material. Then you lower it and do the two passes to make the molding. If that is one bit then the top gets used to do all three cuts to the bottom half of the cutter which does just one cut. Is that correct?

Now the real question, is there a reason why you use the butterfly bit over a matched set of edge v-grooving bits?

Ed

·
The Router Guys
768 Posts
No real reason to use the butterfly bit over the V-grooving bit. Just looking for other ways to use the router bits that I have.

But if I was to use the V-grooving bit to cut the veneer material, I would match a square piece of solid material between two V-groove veneer cut pieces, glue then rip the two apart leaving triangle shaped pieces for the facing material. Another way to glue solid material to veneer plywood edges.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BobandRick said:
No real reason to use the butterfly bit over the V-grooving bit. Just looking for other ways to use the router bits that I have.

But if I was to use the V-grooving bit to cut the veneer material, I would match a square piece of solid material between two V-groove veneer cut pieces, glue then rip the two apart leaving triangle shaped pieces for the facing material. Another way to glue solid material to veneer plywood edges.
Am I picturing this correct? See attached. How do you get the zero width saw cut?

Ed

Attachments

·
The Router Guys
768 Posts
Yes, I would make the square piece a bit larger to give room for the saw kerf when cutting the pieces apart.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I believe Bob briefly mentioned this on one of the shows, although I forget which episode it was. I thought it was a great idea, let me thank you now for the tip. Thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts