Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very new to woodworking and i'm building a router table as my first project.

my questions are: 1. should i enclose the front of the cabinet and what are the pros and cons if i do (all sides, back and bottom are enclosed already) 2. if enclosed will the dust harm the router 3. should i put a vacuum hose right below the router to catch the dust if enclosed ( have one on top at the bit of course ) 3.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the router forum. Thank you for joining us, and remember to have fun, build well and above all be safe.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Hi Yinn2Yang:

Welcome to the Router Forums!

Concerning the dust to the router, it is best to keep the dust away from the router's air intake area.

Also, if you enclose the router in a cabinet, make sure there is sufficient air from outside the cabinet to keep the router cool.

Cassandra

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I would have dust collection at the fence behind the bit & down below. Just remember not to make it to air tight. You do need air coming in to replace the air sucked out by the dust collection.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Enclosed Router Table

In his book Router Magic,Bill Hylton has a plan for an enclosed router table (pp. 212-235) that is worth looking at. Among other things, it offers excelllent dust collection and ventilation. You might find a copy to look at in your local library.
I built a copy of his bench-top model (pp. 203-211), and hope to upgrade to the enclosed model when I have more space.

·
Registered
262 Posts
My table is totally enclosed.
I have a 4" port at the back just below the router for dust extraction.

The big bonus is the noise reduction which means I can use my table on a Sunday.
One negative is the heat is trapped in the cabinet and a Trend T11 produces quite a bit of heat.

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
My table is totally enclosed.
I have a 4" port at the back just below the router for dust extraction.

The big bonus is the noise reduction which means I can use my table on a Sunday.
One negative is the heat is trapped in the cabinet and a Trend T11 produces quite a bit of heat.
Titus, doesn't the dust extraction create air movement past the router, cooling the router somewhat? A 4" port moves a lot of air.

At least, this was always MY theory. :) I like the idea of an enclosed cabinet due to the added dust control.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Titus, doesn't the dust extraction create air movement past the router, cooling the router somewhat? A 4" port moves a lot of air.
It probably does, I must try running the router without the dust extraction to find the difference.

The dust extraction is even better run a smaller diameter take off up to the fence.
This really helps will working with mdf.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts