Router Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm routing an ogee edge completely around a board. When I get to the end of the intake side of the fence the board wants to jump into the bit leaving a dent/mark.

How do I stop this?

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
bearing guided bit???

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
close the opening on the fence to the bit as tight as you can w/o tearing anything up...
set the fence flush to the bearing - both the infeed and outfeed sides...

Reactions: rrrun

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
close the opening on the fence to the bit as tight as you can w/o tearing anything up...
set the fence flush to the bearing - both the in-feed and out-feed sides...
I called myself doing that even pushed the sacrificial fence halves in to the bit. Once the board passed the in-feed side the bit sucked it in. I lined the bearing not flush with the fence but 3 hairs inside.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you using a backer board? If you aren't you should be - that will prevent the bearing from losing contact until the work piece has cleared the bit.
Use a scrap piece of wood to push the work piece past the bit?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
preferably one that is the same thickness as the work piece.

Not like a push stick that you would use on a table saw.
something like this picture.
Thank you sir and you to Stick

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
If you can take a straight edge and push it past the bearing without making contact and turning it then there is almost no way that your board should dive in. There are only a few logical possibilities.
1. the in feed fence sticks out farther than the out feed does. Check with a good straight edge.
2. you aren't routing the entire profile in the first pass until the bit gets to then end of the cut. As you feed in, the router bits natural tendency is to push the wood away from the fence. (For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.) Try running the boards through a second time and see if that solves the problem.
3. you are cutting a profile that removes the entire edge leaving nothing registered against the fence that you started out with. Use double sided tape or brads/pins to attach a second board on top of your work piece and let it stay registered against the fence.

Reactions: Nickp

·
Registered
834 Posts
I would say that your out put side of the guide is not in line with the input side. I placed another board in front of my guide and solved the problem. Or your pressure on the piece increases as you get to the end of the cut.
Feather boards might solve that problem.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have taken a piece of hardboard, drilled a hole to allow the bearing to pass through and two sided taped it to the fence. Start the router up and with one end of the fence fastened down, move the loose end until it the bit cuts a no clearance profile of itself in the hardboard. Oldrusty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts