Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My end tables are complete. Thanks for the great advice on how to glue up the tops and lessons on wood movement. This was my first fine furniture project. Learned a lot especially on finishing. The top is made of rosewood santos which like a lot of exotic woods gives off an anti oxidant and oils which do not allow polyurethane to bond and cure. I had to strip the top twice before my wife found the solution online. Two coats of shellac to seal the top then follow with poly. Legs are walnut, undershelf is curly maple. The legs are held on by floating tenons which I mortised on my horizontal mortiser jig(which I found on router forums). I tried to avoid sand paper entirely by going for a hand plane finish. It worked on the walnut legs but that figured rosewood was a nightmare. Tear out on the knots and quite a few start and stop lines. Ended up hand sanding it to 400.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
Wow nice work Jamie! Those look awesome , your shops not to shabby either ;)

·
Super Moderator
John
6,835 Posts
:smile:Real nice you will not find those in the local furniture store

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,327 Posts
Beautiful.

·
Registered
103 Posts
That rosewood santos is beautiful - I have never seen that in person. Really like the way you laid it out.

·
Registered
Paul
1,859 Posts
Nice tables, Jamie. Love the rosewood, like the others.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
I would not change a thing on those tables! And thats coming from a guy who loves changing things. Hell I even blew up the pics, gave em all a stern eye all the while thinking what would I do different.... I got nuttin!!!! :)

Gorgeous work Jamie...

Reactions: RainMan 2.0

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Nice work Jamie. You get an A for design, an A for execution, and an A for choice of woods. Anyone looking at those will know they are custom made.

Reactions: RainMan 2.0

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Those tables would not look out of place in anyone's mansion.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts