Router Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am looking to make a few boards a little longer (I have a bunch of scrap sapele) that I want to make into one board, is it possible to use a porter cable 4212 to make an end to end dovetail?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
901 Posts
Yes it's possible. Several ways to do it. Would help to know what equipment you have available. Dovetail jig? Router table? Incra Fence?

Like Stick said, finger joints are easier and plenty strong, unless you just want to show off. That's permissible too, but plan to practice on scrap.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Depends on what you are planning on doing with it. Sure you could use dovetails. If you are just wanting the boards longer and want to maintain grain i would use a simple half lap on each end with some glue, much easier and as said maintains grain flow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes it's possible. Several ways to do it. Would help to know what equipment you have available. Dovetail jig? Router table? Incra Fence?

Like Stick said, finger joints are easier and plenty strong, unless you just want to show off. That's permissible too, but plan to practice on scrap.
I am looking at purchasing a 4212 porter cable jig. I have a Bosch 1617evspk router.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I am looking at purchasing a 4212 porter cable jig. I have a Bosch 1617evspk router.
you are going for aesthetics...
what you are planing is very doable...
use a spiral straight bit to remove bulk material before you cut w/ your DT bit...

I have a several serious steps up recommendation to the 4212...
https://www.leighjigs.com/intro_dovetail_jigs.php
I had the PC jig.. gave it away...
it was too limited in purpose, lacked versatility and it got that I really didn't care for it...

·
Registered
901 Posts
I looked at the PC 4212 manual online. With a dovetail bit that matches the spacing of the fingers, you should be able to do end-to-end dovetails easily. You just cut one board, move the locator half the pin spacing, and cut the other board.

Reactions: razz2o4

·
Registered
21,703 Posts
Stick486, I looked at those, but are bit out of my reach.

If you don't need the extra length, Check out the Sommerfeld's new dovetail jig. $240 and includes two bits. Much more intuitive than the PC jig, expandable and versatile. $60 less than the Leigh jig and a superb performer. Want to buy my Rockler version of the PC jig? Bought it a couple of years ago, watched an experienced person screw up a demo, leaving everyone there confused, and went with the Sommerfeld Katey style jig instead. It's a pleasure to use, and the price is decent.

https://sommerfeldtools.com/profess...ols/jigs-and-guides/sommerfeld-s-dovetail-jig

Here it is in use, good hints on marking the jig for easier use...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey guys, I am looking to make a few boards a little longer (I have a bunch of scrap sapele) that I want to make into one board, is it possible to use a porter cable 4212 to make an end to end dovetail?

Yes, here is a picture of a valance I made doing just this but for a different reason.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
PC 4212/4216 works fine once you get the hang of it--may not be a Ferrari, but it's a nicely appointed SUV. I've had great success with mine. If it ever gets warm here, i'll tinker with the Leigh I picked last summer--I know it will be more versatile, not sure how much I'll use the variations though.
earl

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.