Router Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a few glances around, it looks like I'm gonna love this place. I just got myself a new Bosch 1617 kit a couple of weeks ago. Even though most of my other hand power tools are PC. I just liked the ergonomics and felt the plunge function of the 1617 better/smoother than the PC or Dewalt. I'm sure a lot will argue this point and I may regret my decision later, but the money's already spent.
My first question is; I'd appreciate everyone's opinion on a router table/cabinet. I'm not opposed to building something myself, so give it to me, and thanks in advance for the help.
Lynn

PS- Size ain't a concern as my shop is 30 x 34, but I'd still like to mount it on rollers at the least.

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
cobra909 welcome to the forums. I like the Oak-Park system. It is simple and easy to use. Bob & Rick can do as much with theirs as Norm can do with his fancy table. Plus I have the satisfaction of building it my self.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Lynn

"PS- Size ain't a concern as my shop is 30 x 34"

It's always nice to have the room you will need :)
I would recommend making the top and the case to hold two routers that's to say two base plates, to mount one for now and one more down the road.
I wish I did that because now I have 4 router tables taking more room than I want to give them. ( foot print thing) :) and once you give the room up it's gone and no way to get it back short of removing one of the router tables.
Recommend top size 24" x 42" ,base 20" x 38" x 36" tall (total or the same as your table saw) on 4 caster with the base 3/4" off the floor, to keep the mass close to the floor,caster up inside the case but so you can still put your toe in to lock the wheels in place.

Make the base so you can work on both sides of the router table, off set the base plates on the top to one side Not Dead Center, in that way you can do large projects by working on the back side so to speak and put a track system on the front side to hold jigs and other items.

You will see many plans that inclose the router in the cabinet/case, WELL routers will make dust, but with a good vac system you will vac. most of it up with the hose on the fence or under the top.

Fence,,,,,put the fence on Tee track system on the sides on the top so you can move it to the front or back or just slide it off quick and easy.
In this way you will not need to drill any holes in the top to hold the fence in place.
It will also work as a swing fence by just putting in a slot in the fence base to just side it to one side (to the back) ,to change the router bits from the top side of the router table.
(slot running parallel to the front of the fence,about 6" long on both ends of the fence)

A Note***the fence needs to be about 4" longer on both end of the router table top so it can slide from side to side and swing away,you can put in a dado slots in the top (just below the top of the table,by 1/16" or less) on both end on the router table to hold the Tee Slot hardware that you can get from Rockler at the right price.(on sale most of the time)

But do inlay the two base plates at the same time,you will be glad you did :)

Items you will need to make the cabinet/router table top▼

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/routacc1.html
http://us.oak-park.com/catalogue.html?list=BP--

Hope this helps from a old router user :)

Bj :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks alot Doc for your response. Bob, I really do like your thinking. I know I'm not as dedicated to my woodworking as a lot of people in this forum are, but I'm hoping that that will change. I'm an industrial electrician by trade, but used to have part-time Air Condition/Refrig. business, Photograghy business, Art design, etc, etc. (How's the ol saying, Jack of all trades, Master of none) Just hope that I can be of some help to the members of this forum. I've already seen a lot of great tips by searching around. Thanks again.
Lynn

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
You're Welcome Lynn

If you need ANY help when you get ready to make your setup PLEASE just ask and I'm sure someone on the FORUM will come back with the help you need.

Have a good one mate
Bj :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.