Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I was asked to build one of the benches (this month) as pictured (well a few changes like under seat storage). I normally would just do the plans up and make one but I'm running out of time with way to many projects already in progress....... so I'm looking for plans if they exist for a bench like this.

I should note I have only these 3 pictures to go by and no dimensions or other information.

Thanks,

Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
A very unusual design Ed. What would you call it? A Federalist Adirondack bench?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
aniceone2hold said:
A very unusual design Ed. What would you call it? A Federalist Adirondack bench?
Well Mike I never even gave that a thought but you might be right on the mark, maybe it is a fedirondack. I do like the design and it looks like the back legs are cut from the stock such that you have very little waste. The verdict is out if that would work for the front legs as well???

I was going to play with some sizes later today...... the length might be 4 feet as that seems to be a common bench length. That leave me guessing that front seat at 15" to 18". The angle I might be able to get close from the side view....... still a lot of guess work without some major dimensions.

I think I'm going to have to turn down the job but I might do one for myself later this year. It looks like a fun project. If anyone does find or remembers seeing one like this or has access to one please leave a post.

Ed

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Ed, I believe that the length's are closer to 5ft. As for height wise, I'm not sure, but, what you are guessing at seems about right. I'll check the lengths tomorrow. We have 1 that's very similar to your pics posted.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hamlin said:
Ed, I believe that the length's are closer to 5ft. As for height wise, I'm not sure, but, what you are guessing at seems about right. I'll check the lengths tomorrow. We have 1 that's very similar to your pics posted.
Thanks!

Any dim. you can get and the angle sure would help.

Ed

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Hi Ed - just a dumb thought ....
the siding in the photo looks to be the old standard 5" wide slats (take a look at the electrical box in the photo) ... you could possibly use that as a scale (you'd have to be carefull to measure the siding on the same plane as you're trying to measure on the bench) and come up with some proportionate measurements - the side photo and the straight on shot would probably work best for that - by plane I mean think about projection - it's like measuring off an isometric drawing.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Hi Ed, sry for not replying sooner, been hectic at work. What info I have at hand is that, the seat is 12.5 degrees, the back is anywhere from 12.5 - 22.5 degrees. The lengths however, are, as it turns out is what's most comfortable to you. I'm hoping to get more info this weekend, I'll pm you with the rest when I get it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hamlin, That bench sort of looks like a cross buck folding chair. I believe I saw Scott Phillips make the chair on The American Homeshop one time a while back. I can't seem to find a good link to them though. :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts