Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In hopes of bringing a smile to your face I am sharing something that happened today.

I had a push to connect air fitting fail on my air compressor. The other end of the plastic high pressure tubing had a compression fitting; the tubing was fine. Got a replacement from Amazon delivered Friday. Saturday morning BrianS came by and he helped me jockey the compressor back into place after I changed the fitting. I plugged in the compressor, fired it up and heard air leaking. OK, turn the compressor off, unplug it, turn it around so I could get my hand under the shroud and fired it up again. I couldn't feel the air leaking anywhere. I turned to Brian with a puzzled look on my face and with a straight face he asked me if the drain valve was open. It was; I had drained out the water when I pulled the bad fitting. At least we had a good laugh over this.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
ony to get by that easily w/ some of those "other" moments...

Reactions: Mike

·
Registered
901 Posts
I'm sorry, but your story does not meet our strict requirements for a "stupid moment".
1. No blood was spilled.
2. Your mistake wasn't costly enough in terms of time wasted or dollars spent.
3. You failed to meet the minimum requirement of 24 hours of puzzled head scratching before you found your mistake.
4. You didn't break anything else while you were looking for your mistake.

We appreciate your interest in our competition, but we must insist that at least two of the four conditions above are met in order to qualify for entry. We are sure that you will have other events which meet our requirements soon. Enter early, Enter often!

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
I'm sorry, but your story does not meet our strict requirements for a "stupid moment".
1. No blood was spilled.
2. Your mistake wasn't costly enough in terms of time wasted or dollars spent.
3. You failed to meet the minimum requirement of 24 hours of puzzled head scratching before you found your mistake.
4. You didn't break anything else while you were looking for your mistake.

We appreciate your interest in our competition, but we must insist that at least two of the four conditions above are met in order to qualify for entry. We are sure that you will have other events which meet our requirements soon. Enter early, Enter often!
How about when I used a cordless drill motor to make a power lift on my router table and stripped the threads off the lift nut on my new Bosch router? does that Qualify?

Thanks for posting that,Mike, I did a similar thing with my compressor but changed out the pop off valve thinking that was what was leaking air.
Herb

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
If only all my mistakes were that easily correctable, Mike!

My latest was when making a set of drawers. I used blue tape to mark inside/outside, top/bottom. Marked with pencil where each cut was supposed to go. OK, fool proofed! Unfortunately not D*mn Fool Proofed. Cut all the rabbets and then proceeded to dado the wrong side. On both pieces. Arrrggg. Since the dado was right where the slide track was supposed to go I decided to cut new sides which I of course then proceeded to cut too short. Two strikes and I'm out. At that point I just turned off the lights and went to spend some time with my good friend Jack Daniels. Next morning went out and got it right but every time I look at that drawer, I remember.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My theory in life is that we all have these ticket reels for all aspects of our personality. One for funny, mean, stupid, lucky, idiot, love...you get the idea. All of us use tickets from each of the wheels that is because we are all imperfect beings and are subject to our weaknesses. Yours was only a 1 on a scale of 1-10, the folks I get scared about are the ones who pull from the stupid/idiot reels multiple times a day and have to have those reels replaced every week or so while the rest of us use only 1 wheel in a life time!!:wink:

Have a great day!!!!
Bryan

·
Premium Member
19,221 Posts
I only do that one 3 out of four times I use the compressor. The thing I can't really figure out is where did those blakety blank scissors go this time?

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Mike, I was NOT going to mention this to anyone... we're all entitled to our little "whoooops" moments after all. I, of course, would have kept it in the bank for those future moments where blackmail would have been required.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts

My latest was when making a set of drawers. I used blue tape to mark inside/outside, top/bottom. Marked with pencil where each cut was supposed to go. OK, fool proofed! Unfortunately not D*mn Fool Proofed. Cut all the rabbets and then proceeded to dado the wrong side. On both pieces. Arrrggg. Since the dado was right where the slide track was supposed to go I decided to cut new sides which I of course then proceeded to cut too short. Two strikes and I'm out. At that point I just turned off the lights and went to spend some time with my good friend Jack Daniels. Next morning went out and got it right but every time I look at that drawer, I remember.
The bad news is that it haunts you forever. Every time someone comments on how nice it looks you are reminded of the mistakes. It's the woodworkers curse.

·
Premium Member
17,424 Posts

Phil I can't put on my T shirt without it being inside out . Kid you not it took me three times this morning . First I noticed it was inside out then I took it off and put it back on inside out .
Aced it the third time though .
I have no idea how I'm going to do something as complex as drawers ? :no:

·
Registered
Paul
1,856 Posts
Phil I can't put on my T shirt without it being inside out . Kid you not it took me three times this morning . First I noticed it was inside out then I took it off and put it back on inside out .
You're really slippin' Rick... I can put on a T-shirt in only two tries!

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
You're really slippin' Rick... I can put on a T-shirt in only two tries!
what's your secret???
inquiring minds need to know...

Reactions: Mike

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
dude, that's what wives are for!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
On a serious note. @Mike, thanks for starting this thread. After the DC thread got a little hostile, I appreciate getting a little levity and humility back into circulation. That's the sort of thing that keeps forums from spinning out of control. Perhaps a small thing but still worthwhile. Good to remind us that we are all human.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I started a new box a couple 3 weeks back; to eliminate any end grain I mitered all facets except the bottom because the bottom was recessed so I used a dado. I was having a problem with the top; both the box sides and top were square according to my 6" and 12" machinist squares. All the miters read 45° when I tested with the bevel gauge and speed square.

My frustration level climbed after repeated attempts, I decided the 45s must be wrong, (gap at outer miters) so I clamped the top down, and began hand planning from the inside of the 45s, once the gaps closed up I quickly glued and clamped the top to the box then shut the shop down.

X number of days later I went down and began making a jig for the box, I couldn't find my wax pencil, bevel gauge or 6" machinist square. I searched the shop in all the places it should be, after some time thinking about the last time using it which was the box I then broke down and cleaned the shop, (shiver) I still couldn't find it, (no light bulb) they vanished as if they had been washed with my socks, they were gone.

A week something later, the box marked up and the jig made I attached the jig and routed the top, when I turned the box on its side it occurred to me after hearing the calamity from inside the box that I might have glued the tools inside the box. So I went up stairs and blamed my wife for sabotaging my project. Yes dear, it is the only thing that keeps me going, you have an appointment at the end of May, I'll remember to pin a note on you so you can tell the doctor what I've been doing behind your back at your next visit.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Rick, the way to solve that problem is to turn the t-shirt inside out before you throw it in the washer, the dryer will turn it right side out and then when you put it on it will be right automatically. I figured that out a long time ago when I folded my clothes out of the dryer they were always inside out.
Herb

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Rick, the way to solve that problem is to turn the t-shirt inside out before you throw it in the washer, the dryer will turn it right side out and then when you put it on it will be right automatically. I figured that out a long time ago when I folded my clothes out of the dryer they were always inside out.
Herb
tried that... the dryer is smarter than we are...
inside out stays that way...
right side out gets turned...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts