Router Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the end of December I posted an exotic wood score from my BIL and confessed I only know what about 1/3 of the woods are, or could be. Well, I need some accent wood, small pieces, and I picked three from the group but no idea what they are.

So... can anyone help me with these?

Wall Shelf

Wood Plywood Floor Flooring Hardwood

Thanks!
David

·
Administrator
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lacewood was my guess for the light one but I don't recall seeing it this tiny. All the Lacewood I've seen had much larger spots.

The other two aren't Cocobolo or Zebrawood. Cocobolo is red with black streaks and Zebrawood has stripes, not dots (dark cells) in end grain.

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Table Tree

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Table Furniture

David

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
The are all horrible. PM me and I'll give you my address, so you can get rid of them.

Easy to tell what type of wood they are. They were all free, so that makes them all popular wood.

·
Administrator
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The one with stripes is not Zebrawood, that one I know. I showed it against Zebrawood and it is decidedly different.

And I have several different flavors of Ebony on hand but I don't think the dark one is Ebony, at least not like I've seen. It has sort of a Wenge look and feel but end grain is wrong for Wenge.

After doing some searches I think you're right on Sycamore - good call, Cary!!

David

·
Registered
530 Posts
The large dark one in the new pictures looks like a Rosewood and the large stripped one appears to be Zebra, smaller brown possibly Bocote and maybe Pecky Cypress for the other stripped one.

·
Administrator
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just put those in there to show my original ones are not Cocobolo or Zebrawood. The ones I put in are Cocobolo (large dark one in new photo) and Zebrawood (large striped one in new photo).

However, I do believe you're correct on the Bocote, Brian!! I have some other Bocote and didn't even consider that - my bad.

And I believe the light one to be Sycamore, like Cary said.

So that just leaves the small one with the dark cell structure, appears to be stripes but you can see the dots on the end grain.

David

·
Administrator
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is a pet urn I made long time ago with Sycamore. Putting the tablesaw on a 45 deg. and running the board on a 30deg angle across the blade. Slowly raising the blade on every pass.
I've done some turning with it too, very nice wood.
Beautiful box, Cary!

David

·
Registered
Mike
3,941 Posts
I'm thinking Red Plam, Sycamore, and the other one looks a like like a piece of Malaysian Blackwood.

·
Administrator
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
According to the searches I did, Mike, it's Black Palm. And I'm sticking with Bocote for the dark one. The end grain doesn't match Malaysian Blackwood but looks exactly like the end grain shot in the wood database. But we can agree on the Sycamore. Thanks!

David

·
Registered
Mike
3,941 Posts
I've used black palm on quite a few projects and all of it I have had was really dark with light streaks.
First pic is Black Plam and second pic is Red palm

Attachments

Reactions: difalkner

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
One option is to weigh them and then measure volume as accurately as possible and get the specific gravity. Of course it's best to do that in metric. That won't necessarily tell you what it is but it could eliminate a lot of what it's not.

·
Administrator
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've used black palm on quite a few projects and all of it I have had was really dark with light streaks.
First pic is Black Palm and second pic is Red palm
By golly, I do believe you are correct!! The photo appears slightly redder than it really is and when I looked at samples of Black vs. Red I leaned toward Black. Now that I go back and look at it and compare to your photos I am in agreement that it is indeed Red Palm. Thanks, Mike!!

Wood Floor Flooring Plywood

David

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.