Marine Engineer
Doug
4,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Powermatic is the (Gold) standard. I have seen them in magazine ads. I am sure some people will buy them. Heck if I had a lot of money I might buy one. :surprise:

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I had a thought about those fans yesterday. If you have a dust collector that filters down to very small particles, let's say 1 micron or less, then would just running your DC with all the blast gates open do the same thing as one of those box fans?

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I had a thought about those fans yesterday. If you have a dust collector that filters down to very small particles, let's say 1 micron or less, then would just running your DC with all the blast gates open do the same thing as one of those box fans?
that's what I do..
it works...
but..
you need make up air..
or the DC vented back into the shop or your heating costs will climb...
the CFM exchange w/ using the DC is much higher...
little or no breeze either..
just air movement..

·
Super Moderator
5,816 Posts
Not fancy at all, but I made my filter holder out of scrap. The filter slides in from the top. Twenty inch box fan from wally world. :) Been working OK for several years now.

Attachments

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
I'm betting there is some executive somewhere feeling soooo proud of himself for setting the price on those. I just wonder how many are going to have to be seriously marked down to sell them.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I bought my General Int'l. air filter used and still thought I was getting a good deal at $250. Had I known this, I probably would have bought 2 box fans and filters and still saved a bunch !
We live and learn !

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
swamp cooler...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Lots of forced air furnaces die because of burner or pump problems (oil type) that still have perfectly good fans.

Reactions: twmv86

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have a Jet Air Filter with an electrostatic filter. I find that I cleans the air really good. The filter hangs from chains and has a remote to turn it on and off. Additionally it has a timer feature so I can leave the shop and the filter will shut off automatically. The fans with filters are ok but they do not have the effectiveness of the Jet Air Filter. There are several other clones of the Jet and from what I have read they work very well.

Small wood particles are not good to breath. Plus my shop is both for the making and finishing. So the Air Filter helps get the small dust particles out of the air so they do not fall down on my projects during finishing.

Just do not run the air filter while projects are drying. The moving air causes dust that still collects on the tops of fixtures and other objects to get into the air. Run the Filter before you start finishing. When you start finishing turn it off.

There is nothing wrong with saving money but what is your safety and health worth? It is false economy to get inferior results by saving money.

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I have a Jet Air Filter with an electrostatic filter.
I have the same jet and love it. The one I was saying is overpriced is the Powermatic in the ad, which is just a fan with an electrostatic on the front for $600.

I have seen several tests done in online videos with the box fans and filters and they do get the particle count down quite far for not a lot of cash. If you don't have the $300 for a hanging unit, spending $60 on a box fan and some good filters is a great way to go!

A long time back I had built this one, unfortunately it was too heavy to really hang, so I had it mounted on a shelf. Moved a ton of air, but awfully noisy at times. I had a handful of electrostatic filters and just cleaned them off with the garden hose

**** I just realized you can see my old 'tube' style ambient dust filter that was made by Rigid. That worked OK in my single car garage, but didn't do much in the bigger garage***

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.