Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to order some bearings so I could use them to make more than one pass without changing the router bit setting in the router. I good many of my bearing seem to be 1/2". So what is your opinion?

·
Registered
888 Posts
I would like to order some bearings so I could use them to make more than one pass without changing the router bit setting in the router. I good many of my bearing seem to be 1/2". So what is your opinion?
I bought a multi bearing kit ( 6 or 7 ) and it has worked out very well. Many applications as you know. Sometimes they will be the only way to get the job done.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
21,697 Posts
just make sure you have the internal diameter spot on. A 1 mm over sized bearing would spell disaster.
This is why I will have a tech do things like this. The subtle things can lead to the ruin of a tool, generating far more cost for a big repair than for having a tech do a smaller job correctly in the first place. Disassembly is one thing, properly fitting a bearing is another, unless you've had some experience and really know what you're doing. That isn't me.

Of course, I don't live on Cypress where resources are limited. So circumstances and willingness to try something outside your box would also be considered in doing it yourself.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Bought a cheap set years ago that has 2 identical roundover bits but with different size bearings. One is labeled a roundover and the other is labeled a profile bit. As pointed out you have to match the ID to your bit. The OD is up to you. Lee Valley also sells some bearings and I've seen a pretty good selection in Amana's catalog. Probably CMT and Freud are the same.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
This is why I will have a tech do things like this. The subtle things can lead to the ruin of a tool, generating far more cost for a big repair than for having a tech do a smaller job correctly in the first place. Disassembly is one thing, properly fitting a bearing is another, unless you've had some experience and really know what you're doing. That isn't me.

Of course, I don't live on Cypress where resources are limited. So circumstances and willingness to try something outside your box would also be considered in doing it yourself.
Tom, its CyprUs, not the tree CyprEss. (lol)

But bearing sizing is easy, you just need to be able to read. All bearings have their internal and external diameters printed on them.
Or, failing that, use a vernier gauge with the internal jaws, and all will be revealed.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bought a cheap set years ago that has 2 identical roundover bits but with different size bearings. One is labeled a roundover and the other is labeled a profile bit. As pointed out you have to match the ID to your bit. The OD is up to you. Lee Valley also sells some bearings and I've seen a pretty good selection in Amana's catalog. Probably CMT and Freud are the same.
I am buying the bearings for Whiteside router bits and I will be buying the bearings from them. What I really want to know is how much bigger OD bearing do I need to buy before I go back to lets say a 1/2" original bearing? I am trying to make to make more than one pass without changing my vertical adjustment of the router while it's in a router table.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I am buying the bearings for Whiteside router bits and I will be buying the bearings from them. What I really want to know is how much bigger OD bearing do I need to buy before I go back to lets say a 1/2" original bearing? I am trying to make to make more than one pass without changing my vertical adjustment of the router while it's in a router table.
what ever the change of the radius in the bearing is the depth of cut...
to change from ½'' dia [¼''R] to 1'' dia [½''R] equals ¼'' of cut...
so you install a 1½'' bearing and make your initial cut...
drop to a 1'' bearing.. that will be a ¼'' of material remo9val...
now drop to the ½'' bearing and that will be another ¼'' of cut...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
An 1/8" bigger would be in the neighborhood and probably easy to find. A 1/16" bigger would be good for a finish cut but might be harder to find, especially in larger sizes. There might be an easier way and that is to add a shim to your fence. One of the advantages of movable faces is that you can loosen them enough to drop a shim plate between the fixed and movable portions. You can also just clamp something to the face but something really thin might be hard to keep flat. Something like 1/8" masonite would probably work pretty well. That would be a lot simpler than changing bearings.

Slipping a rub collar over the stock bearing might also be an option if you can find ones with the right specs.

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
I do it the easy way. Have several routers. Each screwed to a separate router plate. Then just swap out plates, just a few seconds, and good to go. I have no need to do what you do, but it sure makes changing different types/sizes of bits a snap.

Reactions: RÖENTGEEP
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.