Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need advice on how to best protect my eyes, ears, and lungs — all at the same time — when routing with a hand-held router.

My Porter-Cable 8902 makes a great amount of noise, as readers know. I have the relatively new Oneida universal router base, dust collector attachment connected to the 4” Oneida Mini-Gorilla dust collection hose. Lots of dust and wood particles still shoot everywhere.

I can’t use my current full-face plastic shield that is supported over the head, my 3M™ Reusable 6500 Series Quick Latch Rugged Comfort Half Facepiece Respirator, and my Elvex over-the-ear hearing protector — all at the same time.

My question is: Is there a safety gadget that protects one’s eyes, ears, and lungs at the same time?

I wind up using not very good in-the-ear plugs, my face shield, and a paper air filter if I want to protect myself as best I can. Not the best situation as the ear plugs are not as good as the Elvex over-the-ear hearing protector, and the paper air filter is far inferior to my 3M air filter, which, by the way, I can flip off the nose with a flip of the finger, yet it stays over the head.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Jose welcome to the router forum
$$ Trend® Air Circulating Airshield Pro
For $$ you get ear Protection
Rockler for one sale it!

Reactions: FlyingSawdust

·
Registered
Theo
7,182 Posts
I've got a battery powered air mask suggested by DesertTom, a full face shield, and ear muffs. No problem using all three at once.

Reactions: DesertRatTom

·
Premium Member
20,438 Posts
Here's the mask. Has a battery pack with 4AA cells. Get a spare set of rechargable batteries. I wear my regular glasses (safety rated lenses) and the 3M hearing muffs. Everything fits on fine, and the air leaks out around the top so it keeps my glasses from fogging. Pretty light weight for a positive pressure mask that realy keeps the sawdust out.

Power Air Respirator | Rockler Woodworking and Hardware

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,544 Posts
It looks dumb to some, but I use a hard hat with the ear protection muffs,and a face shield .
I couldn’t get my face shield to stay down , as my dust masks filter cartridges obstructed it just enough to cause it to flip up , so I bought another 3M mask that has hoses that go behind your back where the same cartridges are relocated .

·
Registered
Theo
7,182 Posts
It looks dumb to some, but I use a hard hat with the ear protection muffs,and a face shield .
I couldn’t get my face shield to stay down , as my dust masks filter cartridges obstructed it just enough to cause it to flip up , so I bought another 3M mask that has hoses that go behind your back where the same cartridges are relocated .
Cool. Now I need to check how much one would cost.

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Hi Jose. Welcome to our little corner of the 'net.

I use this mask: 3m-mask-filter with a particulate filter on it. This mask will also support chemical and asbestos filters if you feel the need. I wear prescription safety glasses, and use hearing protection similar to this: Safety-Sound-Noise-Reduction-Ear-Muffs-Hearing-Protection . I've never seen a "one item for all" device like you requested. Not saying they don't exist, just never seen one.

I don't like the paper filter mask as it usually causes my glasses to fog up. The ones that don't fog the glasses up have an exhaust port opposite your mouth. And, don't sell those "not very good in-the-ear plugs" short. Look up the specs on them.. you might be surprised at just how much of a noise reduction they have. We hand out the cheap Foam ear plugs at work and, while I can't remember exactly, I think they have a 30db noise reduction.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hello Jose!

It's a good thing to care about those questions before and not after.

I do use 3M products:

Valve type disposable paper mask P3 level (Asbestos ready).

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_NG/company...405+8720539+8720542+8720774+3294470274&rt=rud

Peltor sportac :
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...earing-Protector/?N=5002385+3293173717&rt=rud

A bit heavy , and it shrinks my head a bit, but I like to be able to ear phone, radio, mp3, through it.

Had twice something in my eye,once while routing, it was a really tiny piece of wood ,but this was terrible pain , do wear eye protection.

Got my regular glasses, plus a safety mask.

Regards.
Gérard

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rick,

You stated, "I bought another 3M mask that has hoses that go behind your back where the same cartridges are relocated ." Can you tell me the product name & number of this 3M mask, please?"

My current situation is worse: the face shield's supports over the head prevent use of my Elvex over-the-ear muffs, and the air filtration filters won't allow the face mask to lower sufficiently!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi,

What is the name, the manufacturer, and model number of the unit that you state provides all three features I'm seeking -- face shield, hearing, and lungs protection?

·
Registered
114 Posts
My question is: Is there a safety gadget that protects one’s eyes, ears, and lungs at the same time?
Industrial solution? 3M or Scott air helmet with clip-on ear defenders

Cheaper solution? Made-to-fit insert ear plugs - like the ones clay shooters and musicians use but designed for industry (see an audiologist) plus a cheaper solution such as the Trend Air Ace helmet/vizor

·
Premium Member
20,438 Posts
Hi Walter, welcome to the Forum. Very good idea to be concerned about inhaling sawdust. Most of the entries on this old thread still apply. The EPA has tested home shops and found most were completely unsafe with regard to causing lung problems. I still use that Rockler mask on page one. Really does the job for me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts