Router Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm new to the dovetail jig by General. Mine came warped as well and i've only tried to make a few sample joints with the unit right out of the box using my router table. I made it work after several attempts, but only after first cutting the tails and then adjusting (increasing) the bit depth for the pins (by about 1/8" to 3/16"). I'm guessing that I'm doing something wrong as I didn't see this step noted anywhere in the instructions, video's or post in this forum. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Ken I
I use a different jig, (gifkins) so unable to help you there..
What is the model of your jig?
Thank you both for the reply! Yes, that is the unit that I have and I suspect you are right that the warp may be the cause or at least contributing to the issue I'm experiencing. I am in the process of having it replaced. Based upon my review of other posts, this is apparently not that uncommon for these inexpensive units. Hopefully the replacement unit won't have the same defect. As a beginner/intermediate woodworker, I really appreciate the feedback and all the helpful hints and suggestions found on this site!
Ken

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lots of good information here guys! I agree with the preference utilizing a router table vs. the other way around. I will especially keep in mind the comments about precision setup and will try come up with some way to better control consistent cut depth above and beyond the jig scale measurements. I won't be doing a ton of finger joints and obviously didn't spend alot of $ on the jig (personal hobby/furniture etc.). That being said, I really want to have these joints as an option. I'll let you know if my replacement jig is warped when it arrives in case I need alternative. Thanks again for the helpful suggestions and info!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lots of good information here guys! I agree with the preference utilizing a router table vs. the other way around. I will especially keep in mind the comments about precision setup and will try come up with some way to better control consistent cut depth above and beyond the jig scale measurements. I won't be doing a ton of finger joints and obviously didn't spend alot of $ on the jig (personal hobby/furniture etc.). That being said, I really want to have these joints as an option. I'll let you know if my replacement jig is warped when it arrives in case I need alternative. Thanks again for the helpful suggestions and info!
Well, the 2nd jig was warped just like the first so it went back too. Any recommended preferences for a dovetail unit that will work with a router table?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.