Router Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lots of good information here guys! I agree with the preference utilizing a router table vs. the other way around. I will especially keep in mind the comments about precision setup and will try come up with some way to better control consistent cut depth above and beyond the jig scale measurements. I won't be doing a ton of finger joints and obviously didn't spend alot of $ on the jig (personal hobby/furniture etc.). That being said, I really want to have these joints as an option. I'll let you know if my replacement jig is warped when it arrives in case I need alternative. Thanks again for the helpful suggestions and info!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lots of good information here guys! I agree with the preference utilizing a router table vs. the other way around. I will especially keep in mind the comments about precision setup and will try come up with some way to better control consistent cut depth above and beyond the jig scale measurements. I won't be doing a ton of finger joints and obviously didn't spend alot of $ on the jig (personal hobby/furniture etc.). That being said, I really want to have these joints as an option. I'll let you know if my replacement jig is warped when it arrives in case I need alternative. Thanks again for the helpful suggestions and info!
Well, the 2nd jig was warped just like the first so it went back too. Any recommended preferences for a dovetail unit that will work with a router table?

·
Official Greeter
19,955 Posts
Hi Ken, for dovetails, I use a Gifkins jig, so cannot offer any other options....

·
Registered
21,998 Posts
I use the Sommerfeld Katy Jig, and I like it. The Leigh jig is very similar. I do know the Sommerfeld jig has the ability to set odd spacing for the joints by replacing the fixed fingers with individual ones. I think both Sommerfeld and Leigh jigs are much more logical to use than the Porter Cable type. I had and was happy to be rid of the Rockler dovetail jig, which is the same as the PC. I know a lot of people like the Leigh but I can only speak to the Katy jig.

A key thing is to mark the inside of each piece, and lay them out and label the ends that fit together. Use a capital letter for the tails, lower case for the pins. So the four corners are marked Aa, Bb, Cc, Dd. Fairly easy to work it out from there, and there are lots of videos of each in use. I keep the Sommerfeld video on hand so I can review it because I don't us it very often.

Here's a video on using the Leigh jig, quite similar.
Rectangle Wood Toy Technology Font

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.