Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
Has anybody had any experience with using the EZ Pro Dovetail Jig, which is sold by General Tools? It looks interesting, but seems fairly inexpensive and I wonder about its quality.
Cheers,
Bob.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Hi there,
Has anybody had any experience with using the EZ Pro Dovetail Jig, which is sold by General Tools? It looks interesting, but seems fairly inexpensive and I wonder about its quality.
Cheers,
Bob.
Hi Bob, I got one of those several months ago and can't say I ever got a decent dovetail out of it. :( Remember that I am also pretty new to wordworking and had never done a dovetail of any sort before so it might work ok for someone who understands dovetails. I have a Rockler jig and am slowly coming to terms with just how dovetails work and may dig the thing out one of these days and see how it does when I'm a bit better armed with knowledge. The claim is that it can be used either clamped to a bench with a handheld router or used on the table. I only tried it on the table and it kept putting my fingers uncomfortably close to the bit. :no:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yes, I've had it for a while now and will say it does a very decent job for me.
The learning curve is very short and the ease of use is great. My only recommendation for table use is, throw away the included bearing and use a template guide bushing in your table top instead. It works much better that way in my opinion. I can't comment on hand-held use since I only use mine with my table.
For the price and ease of use, I rate this jig at the top for a hobbiest. I wouldn't want to use it for production work but, then, that's work, not a hobby.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I've had it for a while now and will say it does a very decent job for me.
The learning curve is very short and the ease of use is great. My only recommendation for table use is, throw away the included bearing and use a template guide bushing in your table top instead. It works much better that way in my opinion. I can't comment on hand-held use since I only use mine with my table.
For the price and ease of use, I rate this jig at the top for a hobbiest. I wouldn't want to use it for production work but, then, that's work, not a hobby.
Thank you John, Roger and Bob, for your prompt replies. I guess that you have had mixed results with the EZ Pro but your feedback certainly is a help. The EZ is a cheap item but looks good and the DVD demos are encouraging so now I just have to get a quote for shipping. All the best, Bob.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Mike. I have checked their price and they are certainly a lot cheaper. Now I just have to find out if they ship to Australia. Cheers for now, Bob.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you Bob. That is a great price. I am just checking to see how much to ship it to Australia. By the way, are you completely happy with your EZ Pro? Regards, Bob.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Bob

" By the way, are you completely happy with your EZ Pro?"

Yes, so far,,I didn't have a good jig to do blind dovetails on the router table but now I have..:)

======

Thank you Bob. That is a great price. I am just checking to see how much to ship it to Australia. By the way, are you completely happy with your EZ Pro? Regards, Bob.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Bob

" By the way, are you completely happy with your EZ Pro?"

Yes, so far,,I didn't have a good jig to do blind dovetails on the router table but now I have..:)

======
Hello again Bob,

Thanks for that, it's encouraging to read good reports on it. I am not sure though whether Amazon will ship to Australia.
Cheers, Bob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey bob would you happen to have a discount code for amazon?
Hi Mike,
I don't have that information as I am in Australia. I trust that I am the correct 'Bob' you are asking as Bobj3 is the other one. He may have that code. Sorry if this is a bit confusing.
Regards

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Bob

Your welcome :)

Not to sure if they ship to Australia a quick call to them would get that done..

The code I have is used up ,,sorry,,once it's used it's used,it had a spec. number and I'm sure they track them...by name and number..

====

Hello again Bob,

Thanks for that, it's encouraging to read good reports on it. I am not sure though whether Amazon will ship to Australia.
Cheers, Bob

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
DOVETAIL TEMPLATE MAKER,ZIP FILE
template maker

From Bob's sig. Who is the African Chief in the exe properties, please? This looks iffy to me ! If you float your mouse over the exe. file icon, a Nigerian name shows up.

Cheers

Peter

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Peter

It's neat little program,here's a shot of it once you install it..

========

DOVETAIL TEMPLATE MAKER,ZIP FILE
template maker

From Bob's sig. Who is the African Chief in the exe properties, please? This looks iffy to me ! If you float your mouse over the exe. file icon, a Nigerian name shows up.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Just type in a new path,winzip will do what you ask of it.. :)

===

Thanks Bob. It keeps trying to stick it in my root directory, instead of where I want it. I'll have a play.

Cheers

Peter

·
Registered
122 Posts
first impressions are not real positive. my jig either came warped or i managed to warp it the first time i tightened the little clamps :wacko:

its going to take some more time with it to get a real opinion on it

1 - 20 of 58 Posts