Router Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just putting this out there so people are aware. I saw this photo on Amazon included in an ad for a tongue and groove router bit set. The photo shows the bit able to make smooth bottom plunge cuts. This is not possible with this bit. It also shows it able to be used in a drill to do this. I’m not 100% sure a router bit couldn’t be used in a drill for some things but I don’t see this one doing it. Drills do not have the RPM’s that a router has even on its slowest speed. Having not tried this, and knowing that a tongue and groove bit is designed to contact wood from the side I could see this particular bit acting more like a wheel and skipping along the surface at drill RPM’s.

Attachments

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also wanted to say the bores shown in the pic have clearly been made using a forstner bit, and those bits are made for drills. This slot cutter had nothing to do with these bores, and was only placed there to take the pic. It will not make the cuts shown.

Any seasoned woodworker and even those with only modest experience like myself would catch this, but a novice and new start ups may not know and these types of pics are deceiving, possibly even leading to someone getting hurt.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
It's hard to see how that could be an honest mix-up in photo layout. Sometimes it's hard enough to know you're buying the right thing even when the description and photo is accurate. If you send the link, I'd like to look up the specifics of the seller.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
To be fair, a newbie isn't likely to be using a rail and stile set.
But yeh, pretty strange. Almost like the manufacturer and the marketing guys have never had a conversation...or at least not in the same dialect.
And the photographer? Well he's like 'Router, drill; you say tomato I say tomato'. :)

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I've used a router bit in a DP before. It works but not very good.

I've been seeing ads on facebook by an outfit named Gearbest, out of the UK I think. Lately they were advertising square mortise chisels saying that you could cut square holes with them. They neglected to mention that you needed a mortiser or drill press conversion to be able to use them and they only showed the square hole with someone holding the bit next to it, implying that it was done by hand. Very similar to what you saw Duane.

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
I've used a router bit in a DP before. It works but not very good.

I've been seeing ads on facebook by an outfit named Gearbest, out of the UK I think. Lately they were advertising square mortise chisels saying that you could cut square holes with them. They neglected to mention that you needed a mortiser or drill press conversion to be able to use them and they only showed the square hole with someone holding the bit next to it, implying that it was done by hand. Very similar to what you saw Duane.
Chuck I have seen where guys have taken the square machine chisel and turned a handle for it and used it to cut square holes and cleanup mortises, but they had to drill a round hole first with a drill.
Herb

·
Registered
Theo
7,182 Posts
I'm thinking stupid PR guy. Some of the PR BS is jaw dropping.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
False adv

Hard to blame Amazon this product is sold by and outside company
I sure that the picture were supply by the company
Also you Honestly You don’t believe these companies know anything about their products made by somebody else and sold by them

Attachments

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just to be clear, I used the words False Advertising in the title to make sure it got attention here so others would read and know this bit doesn’t do what it appears shown to do. My concern was for safety first, and to make sure people aren’t duped, second. I didn’t think Amazon or even the seller meant this, but rather they just used photos and literature provided by the manufacturer, maybe? At any rate I also reviewed the product on the ad itself to make sure others could be made aware that this doesn’t work as shown.

Again, I didn’t intent to accuse, but I wanted an attention grabber title so people would see and know. Maybe I should have chosen different wording?

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Just to be clear, I used the words False Advertising in the title to make sure it got attention here so others would read and know this bit doesn’t do what it appears shown to do. My concern was for safety first, and to make sure people aren’t duped, second. I didn’t think Amazon or even the seller meant this, but rather they just used photos and literature provided by the manufacturer, maybe? At any rate I also reviewed the product on the ad itself to make sure others could be made aware that this doesn’t work as shown.

Again, I didn’t intent to accuse, but I wanted an attention grabber title so people would see and know. Maybe I should have chosen different wording?
You did good, don't worry, it could be interpreted very easily as wrong application. Myself, I cannot for the life of me understand what the pictures have to do with the tool bit.
Herb

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts

I think the wording is fine. I commented on the ad I saw so people wouldn't be misled and I also added a link to a Delta DP Mortise conversion kit so they could see how it was supposed to be used. I did get another person massaging me asking for more details so it was worth doing. Duane somebody somewhere in the chain that got that ad to the market had to know that it wouldn't do what they were implying it would. I consider that unethical.

Herb, I suppose you could hammer the chisel into a board and then take the mating drill bit that comes with it to drill out the waste before you finish hammering the chisel down to square the hole but I'd like to know if the chisel can withstand that with the risk of sending shrapnel into my face if the temper is wrong for hammering on.

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've been seeing ads on facebook by an outfit named Gearbest, out of the UK I think.
If you're referring to gearbest.com it's Chinese, not sure whether they're based in Hong Kong or mainland.

With all the chinese sites, I use my own knowledge and research over their description, come to that I do that with any online buying, they rarely give the information I'm looking for in the description.

Mark

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I think they may have a warehouse in the UK. One web address I went to had a uk extension. Certainly all of the products I've seen had a Chinese origin.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.