Router Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This stool belonged to my wife's mother made by a great uncle or something like that. Anyway she asked me to refinish it. After stripping it and some sanding I realized what a wonderful little stool it was basically there are 5 or 6 species of wood. I would finish it again with gloss instead of the satin finish that is on it now.

BTW I will in the future take before pictures so I can show the difference it the item.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
Jerry,

That is a beautiful little laminated stool and it looks like you have chosen right to preserve it.

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,004 Posts
What a nice stool Jerry, how about a shot from underneath showing how the legs are attached.

I'm pleased with your statement............."BTW I will in the future take before pictures so I can show the difference it the item."

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Harry I will take the underside shot then you will also see how the stool was attached to al lathe. And yes I am betting myself up bad because I would really like to show folks what the before was

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bottom of stool

Harry
You asked to see the bottom side so here it is. I'm glad I decided to finish the under side now! I just really enjoyed refinishing because to return something like this to it's earlier beauty was fun and satisfying.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,004 Posts
Thanks for those shots Jerry, there's a lot of work involved in making a stool like that, I would be very pleased with myself if I turned out a stool like that, the quality of work from those old timers always amazes me, considering the relatively crude tools and no forum to consult! You have done justice to it with such a fine finish.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Harry I worked in Colorado at a place called Glenn Eyrie the main building there was a 67 room Touter castle. It was built late 1800's finished in about 1907. All of the paneling was quarter sawed oak , the workmanship by those Irish carpenters was flawless it is amazing what those men did with what they had!! Kinda scares you to think what they could do today.

I was just thinking, if they had todays tools they might be as (now here's where I get in trouble and get flamed by someone) lazy as I am. There is something to be said about working wood, stone whatever with your hands, being a apprentice and all that. My problem with "all that" is I don't have time to apprentice the way they did.

In some ways though we do apprentice, I feel in many ways I apprentice under the guys and gals who have been there and can display their "master ship" as it were. Besides I'm too old to be their kind of apprentice!! Need to get on with it so as to keep my mind and body young!!

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi xplorx4

That's a neat place :)

http://www.gleneyrie.org/

=======

Harry I worked in Colorado at a place called Glenn Eyrie the main building there was a 67 room Touter castle. It was built late 1800's finished in about 1907. All of the paneling was quarter sawed oak , the workmanship by those Irish carpenters was flawless it is amazing what those men did with what they had!! Kinda scares you to think what they could do today.

I was just thinking, if they had todays tools they might be as (now here's where I get in trouble and get flamed by someone) lazy as I am. There is something to be said about working wood, stone whatever with your hands, being a apprentice and all that. My problem with "all that" is I don't have time to apprentice the way they did.

In some ways though we do apprentice, I feel in many ways I apprentice under the guys and gals who have been there and can display their "master ship" as it were. Besides I'm too old to be their kind of apprentice!! Need to get on with it so as to keep my mind and body young!!

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,004 Posts
Jerry, in the 11 years since I was 64, I've turned out a great deal of projects, as I'm sure you are going to do.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jerry, in the 11 years since I was 64, I've turned out a great deal of projects, as I'm sure you are going to do.
You do not look, is it 75? I guess wood dust is good for you, least has kept you young.

That's a neat place bobj3

I take it you have been there, what was the occasion if you do not mind my asking. I was there from May 1967 till January 1970, I was just out of the Navy, and then during that summer of 1970.

I thought I would be the only one on here this morning glad I'm not.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just had a thought, some times it is not the size of the project, but the absolute quality of workman ship that is really appreciated by fellow craftsman. I know the boat that my Dad did is small but the quality, It like you can almost experience him in his work.

Being a little philosophically this morning. But actually not, I used to ride bike when I lived in Katy, TX sometimes 5000 miles a year. I really appreciated the guys on the Tour de France and what they went threw. I guess that is why I really apricot the work I see on this forum by you and the rest of the guys that have been doing this for a while. It takes time and effort In order to be good at anything, there is a cost, and usually it doesn't come cheap.

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Steve I agree , more pictures and it has nothing to do with Harry.:rolleyes:But from a doctors perspective, do you really want people tp post "stool" samples here?:D:):D Sorry Steve, it hit me funny when I read your post.:eek: You and yours have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dave I had the some thought when I first started posting this "stool". I was just waiting for someone to say something. I got to tell you, you got me laughing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts