Router Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are all aware of the "switch off" or "un plug" rules for the shop and yesterday I had a reminder of why that rule is important. I had finished using a P-C random orbit sander and laid it aside, a couple feet from where I was working on a piece. About a minute or more later it suddently STARTED UP and jumped off the bench! I was flabbergasted to say the least. In this case there was no damage and no injury,but what if......
I own another sander, same model etc. that I tossed in a corner because it started acting up and then just QUIT, would not turn on or off etc.
Now I am thinking there may be a problem with that particular switch. I know P-Cable would never admit it so I won't even ask.
Just thought I'd share this little incident with you as a reminder that it never hurts to power stuff OFF sometimes.

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Have you checked to see if there is a recall on your sander for switch problems? PC is a leading company and they didn't get that way by "not admitting things". You should contact one of the service centers. Your other sander which "started acting up and quit" sounds like it needs brushes. How old is it? Have you done any maintenance on it? Are either of the sanders under warranty? PC stocks parts for all their tools and has excellent service.(This from personal experience)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi, I think Mike is right. I would call PC service, and give them the model number and serial numbers and ask if they have had problems with those switches. Most manufacturers have component parts subbed out to others, and some times they have defective lots. You could take out those switches, and add a jumper accross the terminals, then plug it in if they run take off the jumper and replace the switch.
Or you could test the switches with an ohmeter with the tools unplugged.
Good luck Woodnut65

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.