Router Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am designing an off set router base which will be CNC'd and I want it to fit the most commonly use routers.
So,... which are every ones mostly commonly used, favorite and popular routers? Old and new.
Brand and Model number please.
This could make an interesting survey. Has that been done before here in this forum?

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I am designing an off set router base which will be CNC'd and I want it to fit the most commonly use routers.
So,... which are every ones mostly commonly used, favorite and popular routers? Old and new.
Brand and Model number please.
This could make an interesting survey. Has that been done before here in this forum?
Scott I would go to other companies that sell router accessories and look at what routers they make things for. I would think the bigger companies have already done the research.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Most of the pre drilled bases have holes for the PC 690 or 890 and the Bosch 1617. Maybe add holes for the Tritons. I think both my Hitachis are out of production now, the M12V and V2. I think the smaller VC is still popular though.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I think if you make it fit the Bosch, DeWalt, Makita, Triton, Milwaukee, Ryobi, and Porter Cable routers you will cover most of the newer and better US brands. I have no experience with the European or Far East Brands.

I mostly use DeWalt 618B3 routers with all three bases. I have three DW618's, but my new DWP611Pk is seeing a lot of use too, and I might be buying a second one of them soon. I have 12 routers total. Makita, Black & Decker, Milwaukee, and Porter Cable are also some of what I have.There's even a plunge base Dremel in the mix. Stick to what has been manufactured in the past 20 years and I think you will have enough holes in your tool to make it look like Swiss Cheese.

Charley

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Scott, many of the 1-1/2 to 2-1/4 hp fixed base or combo kit routers mount in a 3-1/2 " hole. If your base accepts only the router motor this should give you about 20 routers that will fit, 6 from Bosch off the top of my head. :)

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
This kind of survey has occurred many times over the years. Bosch 1617, DeWalt, come to mind as top. Bosch produces a LOT of excellent accessories, so you are competing with a giant. Is there any compelling reason for a potential customer to ignore those products and to choose yours? What is it about your jig that's not available in other versions? What problem or limit on those products drove you to creating yours? How will you continuously get the word out to the woodworkers who might use it? It's an expensive proposition to market anything and very easy to lose a lot of money. I teach marketing to doctors who have a service that's like selling heaters to Eskimos, and it takes a steady effort. Don't mean to discourage you, but I have no idea why I should replace what I have for your offset base and unless you can state that clearly in a few words, I'll stick with what I have. A new customer will need the same information to buy your unit.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
I re-read the thread and noticed with sadness my link to the Late Pat Warner.
Almost foreshadowing, but I'm not sure anyone in the woodworking community knew that he was terminally ill at that time.

·
Registered
Theo
6,932 Posts
My favorite routers: Older Craftsman (Ryobi). That's because all of mine are paid for, and they all work. Do I win anything? Oh yeah, they're mounted on homemade router plates.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I re-read the thread and noticed with sadness my link to the Late Pat Warner.
Almost foreshadowing, but I'm not sure anyone in the woodworking community knew that he was terminally ill at that time.
It says on the site to please do not send any more orders. I had noticed that Pat wasn't responding in posts where he normally would and then one of the members posted the news. Because of his contributions both to routerdom and to this forum we posthumously bestowed the title of Honored Member on him, a title he shares with Harry.

Reactions: DaninVan

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tom,
all good advice. I've been teaching curved joinery for ten years, took three to write a book about it and during that time i couldn't fine a offset router base that accepted a template guide, and I couldn't find a 1-1/2" OD template guide to offset the bit to either side of the seam. I am a full time wood worker, only teaching a couple gigs a year here in the states and in Scotland. Anyhow, my son convince me to go for it. It has taken another year of 7 prototypes and testing and I finally have a good prototype. My last task is to confirm the universal mounting holes for a many routers as I can fit.
I've started to promo it and within two weeks I have pre-sold 70 of them. Peach Tree also is interested in distributing it, which take the selling pressure off me. So, I think I might be on to something. In any event, it will certainly solve my problem, which is where it all started. Here is a link with a video that shows all the features. Appreciate any feed back that you my have. thanks
Scott
https://imaginegrove.com/ultimate-router-base

·
Premium Member
17,428 Posts
Scott you certainly seem to have a passion for wood working and all things routers .
Watching the video of your base , I think that's a very clever design .
I certainly wish you the best of luck with your sales ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts