Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As seen on the Fine Woodworking site, Fe$tool bought SawStop.

"Tualatin, Oregon – June 26, 2017: SawStop today announced the acquisition of SawStop, LLC by TTS Tooltechnic Systems, a third-generation family-owned company based in Wendlingen, Germany. The TTS family of companies includes Festool, Tanos, Cleantec and others, and employs more than 2,500 people around the globe."

http://www.finewoodworking.com/2017/...l-buys-sawstop

·
Premium Member
20,438 Posts
It will be interesting to see how this works out. Sawstop sold just about the time Bosch introduced their version. I'd love to see Bosch license their system to anyone who wants it. If that happens, the game will have been changed.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
We now have one in the shop where our concrete forms are made (Pocket Form Isolator) and we like it very well. It's a fine saw. The technology works and we do whatever measures that are reasonable to prevent accidents. 99% of what we cut on it is HDPE Structural Foam (now, I'm proud to say 100% recycled plastic). The saw works great and it is running 8-10 hours per day x 6 days per week on our assembly line. I wasn't really thrilled about Gass's methods of promoting his "technology", but I must say: It does work and it's a darn good saw.

Otis Guillebeau from Auburn, Georgia

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
There were only ever two issues with the saw. Gass's desire to ram it down our throats and the issue with it destroying the blade in order to stop it.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
And somehow Gass convinced the US Federal Trade Commission that the Bosch REAXX saw infringed on SawStop patents because similar technologies were used to detect contact between the blade and flesh. As of now Bosch cannot import any new saws but vendors can sell their remaining stock, and Bosch can provide support for existing saw owners including replacing the cartridges that are used to stop the blade (and not destroy the blade in the process). Bosch has filed an appeal with a Federal Appeals Court.

Reactions: artman60

·
Premium Member
20,438 Posts
So the Gov. stopped a superior product from going on sale? I suspect that the flesh detection method can easily be changed, and I have no doubt we'll see the superior Bosch method before too long on other excellent machines.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
My opinion is still the same, all tools are dangerous and not just table saws so its far better to teach 'safe machine use' than have the operator think he has a guardian angel, keeping an eye on him with that tool only. N
Agreed, but check out our Shop Safety Forum for some gory images of what can happen in an instant of inattention, thoughtlessness, distraction, etc. An extra margin of safety never hurts!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Think table saws are dangerous? Go to a local boneyard and look at the wrecked cars. Don't go if you have a weak stomach as many of them will still have the blood in the interior.
Mr. @Knothead47, in Jan. 1999 I was in a black ice traffic with an oncoming garbage truck. I suffered many injuries and was not expected to survive the night. I now live out my life in a wheelchair. So yes, I know what can happen.

(Please do not take my response as any way disrespectful; I only intend to illustrate that I know first hand what can happen even with no clear cause)

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,544 Posts
Sorry to hear that Tom :(

Hey guys , someone here once said to treat your tools as though they want to hurt you and amputate body parts . I never thought of it that way , and that has always stuck with me .

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
It's my understanding that the technology that SawStop uses to detect flesh is old technology akin to the touch buttons in an elevator. That technology is 30 to 40 years old. If that's true then only the application is new and that is I suspect a much harder sell to have patented.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Sorry to hear that Tom :(

Hey guys , someone here once said to treat your tools as though they want to hurt you and amputate body parts . I never thought of it that way , and that has always stuck with me .

Rick, @RainMan 2.0, the important thing is that I am alive and the serious head injury apparently completely healed within days. Ironically it was the day that I realized that I probably should get a wheelchair that I discovered the TV series Router Workshop and got seriously interested in learning how to use a router. It opened new doors to my drive to build things

1 - 20 of 35 Posts