Router Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the Fein "on sale" at Rockler (the same price is available many places elsewhere) and decided to got for it. Yet another impulse tool buy. My immediate need is removing grout between slate tile and old thinset, but I'm looking forward to other uses.

Anyone else have this tool? Impressions? Accessories? I'm thinking of adding the depth stop, but the reviews for it are pretty bad.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I have a cheap knockoff version. I never knew I needed one until I bought one. If or rather when this cheapo dies I'll replace it with a better one. Don't know about the depth stop. The Fein blades are over rated and over priced. Bosch's blades rate the best. Some of the cheap blades won't make one cut.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the heads-up on blades, Chuck. It may be the Fein itself is overrated, and I'm torn between it and the Bosch MX30.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I have one...
great tool...
uses are only limited to your imagination...

Reactions: Cherryville Chuck

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Yep I agree with the others. I started out with a Harbor Freight one for $15 dollars and I bought that one only because I wanted to see what you could do with one. After I got it I found out how handy they were so I bought the Fein. I bought another HF one because I was down in Florida and didn't have the Fein with me. Now I have three of them. For me it took a while to remember I had one and would do things the hard way. Now it's ingrained in my mind and I reach for it often. I bought a selection of blades on line for a much better price than I could find locally.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The Fein is great. Expensive but works like a dream and great to use. Blades are expensive and I sharpen mine regularly using a fine triangle diamond file (a standard saw file won't cut the hardened blades. This way they last a lot longer.

Remember to keep the blade moving as you cut to clear the swarf and avoid overheating (and the wood catching fire). The blades will last a lot longer if you keep them as cool as you can.

Great for clearing grout in tiles but take care as if it slips it will gouge a groove in the tile surface!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Very robust tool. I had 170 meters (call it 200 yards) of a very fine deep seam to clean. I got a Fein tool (only one on the market at the time) and started in expecting to throw it away at the end of the job -if it lasted that long. It lasted that long and much longer and I still have it. Absolutely indispensable in some situations.

Don't know about depth stops - never needed one / blades are a bit pricey so I am cautious how I use them.

Peter M (Australia)

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
I have the Bosch MX30 and use it all the time. There is a video online showing real time cutting and the Bosch blades cut twice as fast as the Fein blades and 4 times faster than Imperial brand. The dust collection adapter works well with the sanding pads but does not work with the blades. Speaking of blades I highly recommend the OSC114C HR carbide tipped blade.

Some examples of how I have used this tool recently are cutting toilet flange bolts, trimming door shims and spray foam insulation flush, cutting a 45º angle into a post for a railing repair, squaring corners after routing a rabbit and repairing damaged door casing. It works quick and easy for cutting water supply lines or PVC drains and pipe. I used it to cut down old paneling into pieces small enough for a trash can; this saved a trip to get a saw. The uses really are endless.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
I have had the Fein since before they started to worry about their patent expiring...have used it so many ways and it's still going strong...plastic, wood, metal, flush-cutting, plunge-cutting, grout removal, caulk, trim, sills, doors, etc...

I have used other models (don't own them, though) and the Fein is the most comfortable to use. The quick change feature is really good. Power seems to stay with it even at slower speeds (not so with the other brands)...

Yes, the blades are expensive but they have lasted for me...haven't tried the Bosch blades yet though...an adapter is required ( $.97 at HD).

The head may get a little warm but Fein says that is normal...haven't had a reason to worry about it...

My Fein travels with me...right along side my tool belt...I trust it...

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Specialty Diamond makes blades that last almost as long as Bosch's but it takes over 3 times as long to make the same cuts with them. If time is not a factor they can be purchased off ebay for substantially less than Bosch or Fein blades. If you scroll down on the ebay link there is a copy of a Fine Homebuilding blade test that is definitely worth looking at for anyone that owns a multi tool. 10 PK Wood Oscillating Multi Tool SAW Blades Compatible With Bosch Multi X | eBay

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I have the Bosch MX30 .
me too and the 12V version...
blades are very good...
Squared away tools but the Fien out shines it...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks folks for all the comments! I can't wait to get it now.

If anyone has any ideas for must-have accessories, I'd love to hear it. Obviously, accessories are job-dependent, but I'd like to hear about it.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Thanks folks for all the comments! I can't wait to get it now.

If anyone has any ideas for must-have accessories, I'd love to hear it. Obviously, accessories are job-dependent, but I'd like to hear about it.
dust collector...
it works...

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Mike;934489 Some examples of how I have used this tool recently are cutting toilet flange bolts said:
I cut the exact same things, foam insulation as well as the rounded corners on the inside of a frame. It's strange how many people probably use it for such weird stuff. I also have used it to cut off copper crimps on pex but you have to be very careful so that you don't hit the pipe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts