Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
is that living the high life or just rich....

·
Premium Member
19,223 Posts
We might be able to trade in a bunch of unused insulaiton in exchange for one. Or maybe not.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Did I miis something? They talk about a 'patented blade guidance system', yet there appears to be no difference between that and a bosch. There isn't anything between the blade carrier and the foot so unless the blade is thicker, how is it going to be more accurate?

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Festool is going to raise their prices to stay competitive...

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Didn't it talk about something up inside, like two pieces that came up to the sides of the bayonet. Dunno if that is huge, since other physics questions have fooled my [so called] common sense.

Did I miis something? They talk about a 'patented blade guidance system', yet there appears to be no difference between that and a bosch. There isn't anything between the blade carrier and the foot so unless the blade is thicker, how is it going to be more accurate?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Opps, just remembered my tag line.

Reactions: kklowell

·
Registered
376 Posts
"is that living the high life or just rich.... "
--Stick

I think it is neither! It is just that the dollar is not worth much at all these days....

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I'm going to go-out on a limb and guess that it's WORTH EVERY PENNY. I see lots of features that would prove very nice!

In my concrete form production shop, we recently added a SawStop tablesaw. My guys finally burned-out the motor on the Hitachi after 10 years of nearly non-stop use 6- days per week. It served us well, but SAFETY IS IMPORTANT and we needed something with a large table (flat surface). I was kinda holding-out for the Bosch, but their saw with similar safety factors is nowhere near the "bodyweight" of our new SawStop. I insisted to have on-hand the replacement parts for if and when the "safety feature" ever becomes deployed! If it is deployed, you can bet your bottom dollar I'll be there to study the scenario carefully!

The Mafell Saw that this article is referencing is made by a company with a reputation that I respect. If I ever need to get a saw with a need for some of those features, you can bet it will be high on my list to be considered, but it will not get used by everyone in the shop, JUST A SELECT FEW!

Otis Guillebeau from Auburn, Georgia

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yesterday, I had a chance to see the Mafell jigsaw in person. What a great tool! It's built the way I was expecting most woodworking tools to be.
I am confident that similar quality tools (not everything though) can be manufactured and sold at much lower
price points (which may still be too expensive for many woodworkers).
A little background: I was trained in metal work. Today, most woodworking tools I purchased, fall short of my expectations.
Speaking of jigsaws (but the same applies to other tools): the Makita I own isn't too bad and is reasonable powerful. But the stamped aluminum and plastic sole is far from square. With a precision baseplate, it could become a real good tool. Throw in a stronger motor and it becomes excellent. The same with my cordless drill. It's quite good and (for a battery operated tool) powerful. But when you use a longer bit, it wobbles significantly. Drilling with precision becomes almost impossible.
So yes, Mafell tools are very expensive, but for me it's a good reminder of what tools could be, if not China and market flooding.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I've had the same Bosch jigsaw since 1996. I bought the 1584vs when the shaft/rod whatever you call it of the Mak shot out the body and stuck in the material I was cutting.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I've had the same Bosch jigsaw since 1996. I bought the 1584vs when the shaft/rod whatever you call it of the Mak shot out the body and stuck in the material I was cutting.
B&D commercial line jigsaws did that a lot too...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts