Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Back what seems to be many eons ago, there was a post about a Festool random orbital sander on sale for $99. I went ahead and ordered one and I just received it this past week.

Although pricier than my Dewalt, I am very pleased with it. It has a lot less vibration, a whole lot quieter, and very easy to handle. I have to hold my Dewalt rather firmly whereas the Festool just seems to effortlessly glide along the surface with just a very light grip. It also stops much quicker which is a really nice feature.

So as far as my Dewalt goes, yes, I still like it a whole lot and wouldn't give it up, but that Festool ROS sure is a pleasure to use.

Incidentally, I don't have a vacuum for it and so I purchased one of those filter attachments that connects to the sander discharge. It works fairly well for my occasional use, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it for a production application.

·
Premium Member
17,428 Posts
Thanks for the review Chuck . I'm happy to hear your liking the product . I have a few of there tools , and have not been disappointed.
My 1400 series router is the quietist router I've ever used . I was concerned it wasn't going to a high rpm, because it seemed far to quiet . Probably the equivalent of a spindle . Well that may be stretching it a bit lol .
Although there priced a little higher than what there worth imo , I'll still be buying more of there tools

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Chuck I also ordered the Festool PRO 5 LTD sander and have been using it for a couple months.
I also find it to be everything you said. I have it hooked up to Festool CT 26E and
like all Festool sanders there is hardly no dust. I keep 150g paper on the PRO 5 and use it
as a finish sander only. I would like to thank whoever posted that on Router Forum. You
also got a $50.00 coupon off and new Festool which I recently used to get a TS 75 EQ. Now
am going to sell my TS 55 EQ.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I came up with a way to hook my shopvac 2 1/2" hose to the Festool pro 5 LTD. I had this small attachment(think it came in one of those shop vac attachment sets) that slips into their hose attachment as a press fit. The by slipping on a cable tie it seals the 2 1/2" to the attachment.

I was dissappointed when I found out that the rebate they give you can only be used on new tool purchases. For my hobby work, the prices of most of their tools can't be justified in my mind.

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was dissappointed when I found out that the rebate they give you can only be used on new tool purchases. For my hobby work, the prices of most of their tools can't be justified in my mind.
Yes, that's the same opinion I had as well. I would have liked to have been able to use it for consumables. And I couldn't agree more about spending a Festool amount of money on something that is just a hobby for me.

But I don't regret buying this sander. It's really nice and like Larry mentioned above, I also use it for my fine-grit sanding. I load my Dewalt with the coarser stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts