Router Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can relax now, this is the last xmas present order.

Made from walnut, padauk, and maple. the inside is flocked with navy blue.

I thought 2 drawers would be too fiddly so theres one drawer and a shelf.

I stuck the eyes on with just double sided sticky, the recipient can either move them around herself, or i can burn a permanent set in next year. The box is 13" high x 7" wide x 5" deep.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its strange how your life changes. When I started making bandsaw boxes I had no concept of how animal boxes are so popular.
I struggle to sell anything else, treasure chests, musical boxes etc. But I can always sell an animal shape.
I'm walking a fine line here. I do NOT want to enter the craft market stall circle, but I DO need to sell some boxes just to pay for more wood.
animal boxes consistantly turn in a small profit.
But then I dont want to be stuck turning out dozens of the same item.
I'm running out of animals!

·
Registered
21,701 Posts
That is one cool bandsaw box. Why not make more of the ones you have sold easily? You don't have to make dozens of them. I do suggest you use your computer with some really nice vellum paper to make a label of some sort with information about the animal and about the wood you're using. Then charge a little more. Then buy more wood for your amazing critter collection...In fact, you could call it your Cyprus Critter Collection, and a few people will want to have all of them. Make some baby Critters, so people can buy more.

Put a picture of you making them wearing a leather apron and looking like an old world Gepetto making Pinocchio in his workshop. (Notice the identity Gaffboat (Oliver) uses for his Prof. Henry brand)

Take photos of them as you make them so you can put them on a facebook page, along with a way to order them, it doesn't have to be a big business to keep you in plenty of wood. I would use some BB ply for some critters and I'd call it "Over The Rainbow" wood.

Just musing here, you know how I am about business opportunity.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tom,
you could be my business manager (lol) except i just cant be fussed to have a business.

i'm too old for all that now. as long as i can "almost" cover the cost of the hobby I'm happy. At about a half dozen boxes a year, my output would never stand all that marketing. (VBG)

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
omg that is so cute! I need one of those for my brother in-law. When he was younger, everyone said he walked like a penguin, so now when we see one, we say "Oh look! It's Jeff!" Too stinkin adorable!!!!!

·
Registered
21,701 Posts
Tom,
you could be my business manager (lol) except i just cant be fussed to have a business.

i'm too old for all that now. as long as i can "almost" cover the cost of the hobby I'm happy. At about a half dozen boxes a year, my output would never stand all that marketing. (VBG)
I completely understand Bob. I've just been an entrepreneural thinker all my life, just can't help myself. Maybe it will encourage someone else, like Barb for example, who is doing a business. I love the animals too. My breathing problems have really slowed me down the last couple of years, but the brain just keeps cranking.

My daughter comes home tonight from a consulting gig (she runs the business now) and we're putting together a special marketing seminar for eye docs, and we need to really create some rich contents, so the brain is working overtime. I think I might enjoy retirement more after I'm dead. I take after my mom on thinking, my dad on work ethic.

Only one way out for me, LOL. :wink:

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
BHob,
You can always make different sizes and variations of the same basic animals. A little change here and a little there make all the difference and keeps it from getting too boring. After a while, the similarities make it easier to make and refine them, even if they're different.

I keep thinkling like Tom. My Bad.

Reactions: OutoftheWoodwork

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Let's see ...... full time for old guys would 12-15 hrs a week. They would move a little slower but make a good product. Wouldn't need benefits wth being part time. Medicare would take take of the ambitious ones. They would usually show up for work, but have to have time off for doctor appointments. They would also need a little computer training 101. Of course, "consulting" would let em do whatever they wanted to. Would it pay??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.