Router Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next to my rounter center (that is next on my projects list) the single most important "tool" in my shop (IMHO) is the workbench. I have spent over 2 months researching and about 30 hours over a 3 week period to reach the final product.

I know it is not as pretty as some and is more of a hybrid than a typical woodworkers bench, but my needs were a little on the multi-purpose end.

This thing ended up with an 80X32 top laminated from 2 solid wood doors and an oak ply face. It stands 34" proud and weighs in at over 500 lbs. Overkill? Probably, but should take about any punishment I can dish out.

I just had to share it with y'all as it has served as a real learning experience and I'm a little proud of it :D

Go easy on me.... I'm still a newbie.....

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jerrymayfield said:
It is a fine piece of work. A couple of questions : what is the wood used for the tail vise and are the holes round or rectangular?.

Regards
Jerry
jerry,

I ended up having to use 2X10 yellow pine for the vice faces which was not my first choice by any means, but could not find anything better at the time. I had to use borg material to build this thing, but I will find a good wood supplier for future projects I assure you :( I have the option of remaking the face vices down the road after I locate better stock, but I needed to get this project behind me for now.

The bench dog holes are all 3/4 round which appears to be standard these days. I surveyed many woodworkes and came to the conclusion that round single row was was adequate for all practical purposes if done right.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did you follow any specific plans? Did you use someone else's, or make your own?
I need a new bench, too, and am doing the research.

nice job

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PoPnBuG said:
Did you follow any specific plans? Did you use someone else's, or make your own?
I need a new bench, too, and am doing the research.

nice job
Thank you for the compliments.

I did not use any specific plan per se.... I incorporated many ideas from several examples I found in various places. I guess if anything I did use some ideas on the base from a site of another fellow who I did correspond with and he sent me some additional pictures and a rough drawing that helped me on some hidden features.

The main things I tried to keep in mind were strength, size, simplicity and utility beyond just a woodworkers style bench. I plan on using this bench for a variety of purposes.

If you need additional info I will be most happy to provide anything I can upon request. I am very happy with the turnout of this project.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Wow!! Simply awesome.....I would be very proud if I had created such a thing, you will have the joy of utilising this creation for many years to come.
You could sell them..
thanks for sharing, I am also in process of designing two new benches, this will without doubt colour my decisions.
Paul

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.