Router Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got the little hound dog and **** scene finished. I carved the tree trunk out of basswood and finished it in oils. The base is a basswood round finished with model railroad scenic material. The Tree trunk and **** are permanently mounted but the hound dog is not as the ground cover is not 100 % dry yet. Anyway, you can check it out here. Thanks for looking:

http://iowacarver.tripod.com/id5.html

Corey

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Hi Corey,

You have a talent I just wish I had. :) :)

I had never had the pleasure of seeing any of your work until now, and I must say, your talents really impressed me. You have done a bang up job with the hound and ****. I also checked some of the other carvings you did, and all I can say is WOW!

I was wondering if any of "my extended family" posed for you, it sure looks like one of my *****. :):) They are a bunch of show offs anyway.

Great job,

John

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
Corey,

Awesome! Spectacular! Fantastic! Magnificent!

None of these words even come close to describing your work, but my vocabulary is limited and these are all I could think of.

Great job and can't wait for your next project.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Hi Corey,

Well, I'm totally impressed. Very professional looking piece.....excellent craftsmanship there bud.....

Ed......:)

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
Corey my friend, I'm 100% serious when I suggest that you show your work to one or more of the exclusive gift shops, I'm certain that you could get BIG, BIG dollars for your superb one off carvings. Please don't procrastinate, do it NOW!

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks fellas, I appreciate it very much. Harry, I could probably get a few bucks for it, but the biggest reason it would not get big bucks as you say is the fact it's not an original carving. I used patterns from a well known carvers book (Tom Wolfe) and the subject has been done a lot over the years. My carvings are done from books etc. and I am learning all the different styles etc. In fact, Tom has taken his original carvings like this and had them done in resin and they are sold in high end gift shops :)

That is was separates good carvers from the great carvers I think, originality. That's the difference between getting 25.00 for a piece vs. 250.00 or even upwards of a 1,000. or more. I am still learning a lot but hope to do original pieces one of these days. To do original carvings you first have to have vision and you have got to have some drawing skills or at least be able to envision the carving without a pattern. I have some drawing skills, I just need the vision to follow through with it.

My real vision is totally unlike anything that I have carved to date and that is to carve or scultp WWII, Vietnam Statues, Figures or what ever you want to call them. I have been a collector of WWII model figures, painted pewter etc. for many years. This is what I am ultimately wanting to do. I have seen very few of this type of carving and if I can do it, the collectors of this kind of thing will pay as you say Harry, BIG BIG dollars for it.

Until then, it's more practice and developing my own style and most important vision.

Corey

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.