Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, finally got a frame finished I'm willing to show. My wife paints and frames cost an arm and a leg, and unframed paintings are pretty plain potatoes. Making a frame is exacting. 45 derees had better be exact or you have scrap wood. So my wife gave me a present, a Grizzly miter trimmer. Perhaps the sharpest tool I have ever had a small accident with.

BTW, this would be a $200 frame at the very least. But I have had to buy some special tools to be able to do this. First and foremost, the Girz miter trimmer, shown here in action, minus the blood. You precut the end to as near 45 degrees and about a 16th oversize. The trimmer shaves off a thin piece at an exact 45. It is a miracle after fussing with saws for several weeks.

Custom frames must be made to fit the canvas, so the inside edge requires a 3/8 ths rabbit, so the width of the frame is based on the correct width of the rabbit. Makes more sense when you actually do it. Clamps for glue up were small spring loaded clip. I didn't manage to get all the squeeze out, so had to do more sanding to get down to wood for the stain. I'll be more careful about glue removal in the future.

OK, next step was cutting 1/8th splines into the corners and gluing that up, the sawing off the ends with a Japanese pull saw.

OK, the picture of the painting. The frame is pine, finished with two coats of Red Mahogany penetrating stain and two coats of wipe on poly. The wood is actually just pine molding. I had to add some half inch pine to the back of it to give room for the rabbit. That really messed things up because I glued it on before cutting and assembling the frame. So, the face of the frame would NOT line up perfectly. Darn. The solution? Sand, sand, sand and sand some more to make it line up in the corners. Got down to 320 grit, put a stain pre coat to even it out, then sanded a little more with 400 grit, to remove the fuzzies, then a final coat of stain and a rubdown with an old T shirt to smooth out the finish. Then a couple of coats of wipe on poly.

Now, I know this is nothing new for the old farts here, but I'm posting this for others like me, who are intimidated by precision and finishing.

Frames loom as a big thing in my life given my wife's increasing art skills. So I bought a few specialty items, the best of which is in the third picture, which inserts the retainers into the frame. Nifty item but the thing bites is you grip it too hard. Oh well, more band aids.

Hope someone learns from my mistakes. I'll post some more over time.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
that came out well done...

Reactions: DesertRatTom

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Beautiful job Tom. I realized the the same as you when my wife needed some frames for some prints she bought. Ready made was $25 per foot and when I looked them I realized there were just coves and beads. Takes a while to recreate them but very satisfying and lots cheaper.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Nice frame. Understand the cost of buying frames. When we return from vacations we always have pictures of scenery we want to frame and hang in the house. Big pictures like 16x20 and 20 x30. I started making them several years ago due to the high cost of buying them. We have some nice pictures and they keep the memories fresh.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I like that frame Tom. Your wife will turn you into a full time framer. :wink:

·
Premium Member
19,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...Your wife will turn you into a full time framer. :wink:

@hawkeye

LOL, I have already committed to that. Got past the don't know anything about finishing to a method that will work well, so now there are another 20-30 more that need frames PDQ. She has said something about making frames and she is connected to the art community.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Guess we now know why frames are so expensive! Lots of work and tools to get there.

Good job, Tom.

·
Premium Member
19,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I noticed during the learning process that most framing material is pre finished. I think that's what I'll try next. I do like the precision of frame making, but boy, is the finishing messy!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Really nice job Tom. I know what you mean about the work & the mess, I frame pictures for a living. We used to have a brick & mortar store, but the rents drove us out of business. The people we deal with now know what they want and what they will pay for it.

Your wife looks like a very accomplished artist.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Looks good , Tom, I can understand now why frames cost so much. It is like anything else people off the street think that you can just wave a wand and "POOF" there is a simple frame.
I think you are onto to something by prefinishing the material.
Good job, won't be long til it is fun.

Herb

·
Premium Member
19,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Really nice job Tom. I know what you mean about the work & the mess, I frame pictures for a living. We used to have a brick & mortar store, but the rents drove us out of business. The people we deal with now know what they want and what they will pay for it.

Your wife looks like a very accomplished artist.
My wife really appreciated your comment about her work. It is in a place of honor. We have one other large wall which is really her gallery now.

I have been thinking about making frames, and I think you are doing it the right way through connections with artists in the area. Don't need to make a living at it, but it never works to cut prices on stuff like this, you just attract the wrong crowd. And I don't want to alienate the guy making frames up here in his shop. He is a nice guy.

Am I correct in thinking that pre finishing is the way to go? My lumber source has a lot of material good for framing, not cheap, but workable. A lot of waste per frame, but at least you have cutoffs to try finishes on.

·
Premium Member
17,429 Posts
Nce job Tom . I always wondered how those perfect miters were made

·
Premium Member
19,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nce job Tom . I always wondered how those perfect miters were made

@RainMan 2.0 Thanks. I think you and I both like doing precise work, and this has been the most challenging yet. I think getting perfect miters requires a miter trimmer. Sorry we couldn't get that barn raising deal done for your shop, I thought it was a fun idea. I'm supposed to get the evaporative cooler operating today (or else) so I do understand how priorities work.

·
Premium Member
19,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice work, Tom

Marty

@Minnesota Marty Thanks. I was just looking at your profile. 50 years in design and construction. That's a long time so I suspect you will be doing some great fun projects. I started building up my shop about 8 years ago. Knew I was going to stop working as some point, so I bought the good stuff from the get go. I also have a table mounted Triton, a couple of 1617s and a Bosch Colt. Couldn't understand why you'd ever need multiple routers, But it's nice to not have to keep changing bits and setups.

My daughter is taking over my consulting business, so at least my 34 years of developing that business isn't going to disappear. I'm surprised you couldn't find someone to take on an established business. I guess all the young-uns want to be gamers and fiddle with computers. Any way, thanks, coming from you, the comment is doubly appreciated.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Tom, you are correct as far as pre finishing the legs of the frame. I purchase random length mouldings from one of the big supply houses on the east coast for most of my commercial jobs, and for the customers who want a special moulding made, after sanding the profile, I cut all four pieces longer than needed and apply the finish. When the pieces are dry, I recut them to size and whenever possible I put them together using small biscuits to reinforce the weak corner joins. Have fun, it is a very satisfying part of our hobby.

BE WELL

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,355 Posts
Very nice Tom.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts