Router Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know, those things you keep saving because maybe you’ll find a use for them one day.

My wife and I volunteer to work the silent auction for our local Humane Society every year and this year I decided to donate some things for the auction (maybe I can talk her out of standing on our feet for three hours).

First up is a set of dog themed coasters made out of a bunch of flooring samples I’ve had hanging around the shop for a while. I trimmed four of the bamboo flooring samples down to 4” x 4” and cut the corners at 45º. I created a file with multiple sayings in V Carve and then it was off to the CNC where everything was cut with a 90º V bit. I’m still working on the holder concept and I’ll show you that when it is finished. In the meantime, dig out all those samples you’ve been collecting and put them to work.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
What a good use of material, :) looking good

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Another outside the box project from Oliver. I want to be Oliver when I grow up.
Uhh! Tom wake up you are dreaming. I think you have been over doing it lately. :grin:

Very nice work Oliver. :smile:

Reactions: 197761

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,059 Posts
Really beautiful work Oliver, as of course we've come to expect from you.

·
Registered
Mike
3,841 Posts
Great idea for those flooring samples

·
Registered
Theo
7,182 Posts
You ever price wood revolver and pistol grips made from exotic wood. Expensive. So I figure I'll get some of those free flooring samples and try making some fancy grips. Practicing with cheap wood first of course.

Reactions: kp91

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Nice and good work as a volunteer. My wife found a plaque we have in our living room. We have two mixed dogs, mostly Chihuahua.
The plaque reads: Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our life whole.
Did I mention that our dogs are spoiled? It's not my fault! :wink:

·
Registered
Paul
2,008 Posts
Very nice Oliver. I was wondering how you finish those. The dark backgrounds you stain first and then carve?

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very nice Oliver. I was wondering how you finish those. The dark backgrounds you stain first and then carve?
No staining, Paul, these flooring samples are finished by the manufacturer. I just carved into the finish and exposed the raw wood. For contrast I added some water-based craft paint to the carvings. Since the flooring is pre-finished I was able to just wipe the excess paint off the surface.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts