Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rifle case for my brother.
Ebonized Walnut, Maple and Mesquite.
Hardwood Wood stain Wood Varnish Laminate flooring

Box Hair iron Metal

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Beautiful job Gene. How did you ebonize the walnut?

Reactions: Gene Howe

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
OMG, you sure did,Gene, and in a beautiful fashion too,I might add. Is the dark the mesquite? I didn't know that they grew that straight for that length. You really out did yourself on that one. Thanks for posting, I have been waiting for a picture of that. Is that the first of many?

Herb

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Chuck. The black was achieved with India Ink. Tried the steel wool in vinegar method but, although it darkened the walnut nicely, it didn't stay dark. I found that, without applying a uv blocking finish, it's not light fast.

Thanks, Herb. The black is walnut. The browns are mesquite. It does grow straight, depending on the area. But, not really tall. Finding a useable log to yield more than 10-12' is rare. In AZ most are around 12-16" in dia. at the base. Some are much bigger but, also rare.

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
This is one of the nicest rifle cases I've seen & I used to work in a sports store that sold firearms etc. (before I became a Meat Inspector) Thanks for the ebonising info Gene,a lot of members will appreciate that. James.

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,545 Posts
Outstanding work Gene . Sure loving the different colours of wood . You’ve got a real talent there

·
Registered
901 Posts
That's simply a work of art! Very well executed.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
James, thanks my friend.
Rick, gracias buddy. It ain't talent, its perseverance.
Mike, appreciate your kind words.
Andy, I'm blushing.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Absolutely beautiful! I like your avatar (I have one, waiting for me to learn what I’m doing). Kudos.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, Dan. White gloves only.:wink:

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Better than nice !!!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yea I can't come up with anything, simply don't have the vocabulary. It is absolutely beautiful. Care to share the build? Mitered corners with splines? What did you use for the interior? Foam? Finish? etc... For me, it is a rare occurrence, that a box will put a beautiful gun to shame. You managed to do it!

·
Registered
Theo
7,182 Posts
That's nice. What is the padding in it?

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. You all are incredibly generous with your praise. But, keep it up. I love it.

Bob, the corners are lapped. The splines are DTs.

And Theo, the rifle is French fit using Kaizen foam. Its sold by Fast Cap for tool drawer organizers. An object is laid on the foam and it's outline is traced. Then it's cut out only as deep as you want it. Kaizen is made in thin layers so, when you cut the outline you can reach in and pull the layers out. In the case of the rifle, deeper for the stock and shallower for the barrel, etc.

Again, thanks for the very nice comments. They mean a lot.

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,228 Posts
Superbly done.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts