Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
Steve
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tripod leg table starts actually getting made. I finally faced my fear of screwing up to get this project started.

Some of you will have seen the lead-up to this point, with me asking about the Tasmanian Oak, and the balsa prototyping of the legs.

Hope you're as ready for the journey as I am.
I'll post my pictures to this thread for all to view as they please.

Shout out to James (jj777746) for the warning about splintering and tear-out - pro tip: a bit of masking tape helped heaps here, just like on plywood.

Alrighty, on to the project itself.

I built another larger prototype out of scrap just to get in the swing of things and also to check my theory about height vs lengths of timber used.

Attachments

·
Registered
Steve
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's the next step.
I cut the lengths to be 1440mm (I know, swapping my measurements) and put half-laps in the 2 main "beams".

I also cut mortises in each for the "side beams" and made loose tenons. Originally the design used a one-piece side beam and tenon, but I decided to use a floating (loose) tenon arrangement to make my life easier ;)

I cut one of the side pieces to 720mm, which I've just realised is a fraction longer than it should be, so I'll have to trim it tomorrow.

I tried to rout the full depth of my mortises, but because of the small bit I was using I couldn't get the full depth. I had to drill out the extra depth.

I'm thinking I might want to invest in some collet extensions, so if anyone has any recommendations.....

Attachments

·
Registered
Steve
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And final pic for tonight, the jig/fixture/whatever you'd like to call it that helps me to cut the ends at 55 degrees.

As my mitre saw doesn't quite get to 55 degrees, I'm using a method using a 45 degree piece as a guide, adding 10 degrees to the mitre saw and cutting along that to get my 55 degree angle. It works, so I'm happy enough. One day when I get a table saw I might be able to do this easier ;)

I'm going to have to make sure I support the lengths well to ensure the cut is done safely and accurately without any sagging on the part of the holder (me).

Attachments

·
Registered
Steve
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And that's all I've gotten done today.
I'm a bit annoyed at the timber merchant I got the wood from. They weren't gentle with my purchase and I discovered a few dents/nicks. Not much I can do, but it's also not my forever table, so I'll make it look as good as I can and be happy.

I'm really happy to be making real progress on it, as I've been afraid to get started. The fear of butchering not-so-cheap wood has had me nervous about starting, as I don't like to waste things that I feel cost a bit of money (hangup from not having much growing up).

But so far things have gone well and my confidence is growing as a result.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and tips thus far, I look forward to continuing to share the journey with you all.

·
Premium Member
20,455 Posts
Wow, that is a really interesting project. I take it that what strength you lose with the joints is made up for by the strength of the glue. By the time you sand and finish the wood, most of the imperfections will have been worked out.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I can see why you would be a little hesitant to start the project, I would be too. Good start Steve.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Here's the next step.
I cut the lengths to be 1440mm (I know, swapping my measurements) and put half-laps in the 2 main "beams".

I also cut mortises in each for the "side beams" and made loose tenons. Originally the design used a one-piece side beam and tenon, but I decided to use a floating (loose) tenon arrangement to make my life easier ;)

I cut one of the side pieces to 720mm, which I've just realised is a fraction longer than it should be, so I'll have to trim it tomorrow.

I tried to rout the full depth of my mortises, but because of the small bit I was using I couldn't get the full depth. I had to drill out the extra depth.

I'm thinking I might want to invest in some collet extensions, so if anyone has any recommendations.....
Steve,check out Harrysin's recommendations re "Musclechuck"in my Collet Problem post today.Your table is starting to take shape nicely Jamesjj

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Steve, I am looking forward to more pictures and your comments on this project.

Your oak looks like the red oak we have here which is pretty common. I have an oak in my front yard.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
10,034 Posts
Nice job Steve.

·
Registered
Theo
7,182 Posts
Interesting. I know of a professional custom furniture maker, who always makes a complete prototype of a new design, with pine; this lets him find the problem, and how to fix them. The prototype is then sold at a low price, and he makes another with high quality (expensive wood). Prototyping is never a bad idea.

·
Registered
Steve
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, next update, did a bit more leg-work today ;)

Cut the angles on the ends of the lengths, started carving out a mortise in one of the short legs (and broke the tenon while test fitting so had to drill it out).

Last picture is of the tenon glued in place in the short leg (not the main leg), and all clamped in place to make sure it stays put where it belongs and stays lined up.

Tomorrow's job will be drill the screw holes, then do the glue-up for the other tenon and short leg.

Oh bother - sorry the photos are not rotated correctly. They looked right when I opened them.

Attachments

·
Registered
Steve
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have to do a lot more practice on mortising though. I did a really average job of it. Still, learning is a wonderful thing.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Doing a good job Steve. here is a quick tip,There is a sales group down here called "Kiama Buy Swap & Sell"which has some really cheap tools & such for sale & free. So there is probably a similar group in your area.Hope this tip helps you find a bargain or two Cheers.Jamesjj

·
Registered
Steve
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And now for the assembled pieces.
After this it's sanding and finishing, but that's a story coming soon, not today.

Very happy with the assembled product overall, nice and even.
I've taken a few shots for your viewing pleasure :)
Again with the change of angle on a couple of these, sorry. If anyone knows how I can fix these once they're uploaded (i.e. delete, re-add), please let me know.
I did change the rotation on one before uploading, but that was because I thought that taking it on my phone in landscape meant it had rotated the first one.
But the last two I took in portrait so expected them to be ok.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I like the geometrics..
well done Steve..

·
Registered
Steve
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This has been the biggest challenge I've set myself to date. Going back 6 months even I wasn't sure I could pull it off, but I have and I'm really pleased.
Thanks to all those offering encouragement and advice, I really appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts