Router Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi just getting in to using the router. tryed to make a box with finger joints using a 3/8 spacer fence and bit the joints don't fit tight what am i doing wrong the space between the bit and fence is 3/8 help thank ron

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
You have to adjust the space from the bit to the fence rail. I believe you have to make the space larger by moving the rail away from the bit.
Experiment with some scrap wood. It may be your bit is not exactly 3/8.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
ron dwyer said:
hi just getting in to using the router. tryed to make a box with finger joints using a 3/8 spacer fence and bit the joints don't fit tight what am i doing wrong the space between the bit and fence is 3/8 help thank ron
Hi,

If the joint is loose then the spacing is smaller then it should be. For a reference I made a couple of sketches this morning and they are attached.

Hope this helps.

Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
ron dwyer said:
Some time ago I cut some dovetail joints following the vendors instructions very carefully. After checking and rechecking all the settins and dimensions the results were less than satifactory. Trying to understand why this was, I became more confused until I started cutting on scrap pieces, making small adjustments and rechecking the results until the joints fit properly.

It didn't take long before I realized that making small adjustments to the settings made all the difference in the end result. Of course you want to use scraps that are the same dimensions as the final work piece.

Hope this helps

cfm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts