Router Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know everyone has seen the white finish on kitchen cabinets. I don't think it's paint. It may be some kind of epoxy. You can scrub it with soap and water if it's dirty and it looks new. I have had it in two houses I have lived in and my wife likes it because of the easy cleaning and the color white. It might come in other colors to but white is all I have seen.

The first one that comes up with the answer gets the "At a boy" award of the day. You don't see awards given for answers very often. :dance3::lol:

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is several coats of enamel paint,when it cures out it is tough stuff.
Herb
Herb you get the "At a boy" award. :laugh2:

I never thought it would be paint. Does it go through some sort of heat curing?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I know everyone has seen the white finish on kitchen cabinets. I don't think it's paint. It may be some kind of epoxy. You can scrub it with soap and water if it's dirty and it looks new. I have had it in two houses I have lived in and my wife likes it because of the easy cleaning and the color white. It might come in other colors to but white is all I have seen.

The first one that comes up with the answer gets the "At a boy" award of the day. You don't see awards given for answers very often. :dance3::lol:
Possibly either conversion varnish or high-solids catalyzed lacquer, both are used for kitchen cabinets.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Herb you get the "At a boy" award. :laugh2:

I never thought it would be paint. Does it go through some sort of heat curing?
Just aging,and more coats on top.
In the old farmhouse I was raised , the cabinets probably had at least 6 coats of oil based enamel paint on them, and when my dad replaced them years later, I tried to sand off the old paint and it was like sanding granite. Going from the pink to the blue,to the white, to the peach,to the brown, back to white ,pink ,blue ,etc.
Herb

·
Registered
8,955 Posts

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Ahhh, I missed the 'I-need-to-know-because-I-have-to-repaint-the-cabints part'. My bad.
What Herb said. Or Melamine paint.
I think if I were doing it on site,i.e. in the kitchen, I would check with a couple of local paint stores and see what new consumer friendly products are available. Best to check a couple of shops and compare products and colors. Colors are important to woman. they can mix the new paints to match their taste perfectly now. And don't be disappointed when you open the can, it might look lighter than the finish product, the computer has taken that into account. When it drys it will be perfect. The better paints cost more, but will hold up longer and if you are like me, you won't have to repaint for a long time. Unless your wife is like mine was and want a different color every year and then buy the cheapest and figure it is going to be gone in a year anyways. But she loved to paint,and was good at it too. So I didn't mined.

Herb

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Scents-less

Great for commercial set up in a water curtain booth maybe but not for the home shop. Requires professional spay equipment too, and a pressurized hood. Mean stuff to breathe the vapors.
Herb
I think this came up a while back. I asked my furniture restorer what ever happened to all the dip-tank stripper shops that used to be in Vancouver. He tells me all the guys are dead or have fried brains.
I'm assuming the liver damaged ones are no longer with us.
That stuff was bad news. :frown:

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
I think this came up a while back. I asked my furniture restorer what ever happened to all the dip-tank stripper shops that used to be in Vancouver. He tells me all the guys are dead or have fried brains.
I'm assuming the liver damaged ones are no longer with us.
That stuff was bad news. :frown:
Yeah ,Dan that catalyzed lacquer was /is mean stuff. IT used to be 2 part mix and was hard to clean the spray gear, I heard tell. It could only be sprayed in OSHA certified booths I heard ,and was going out of favor in mill-work shops all over town, they were subbing it out as I remember. Too many environmental hoops to jump thru. I don't see the advantage to it either. Just plain old spray lacquer has done the job for many years.

Herb

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
We had a young guy doing stripping with what I was pretty sure was methyline chloride at a place I worked at. I asked him after a week or so how it was going and he said the stuff was burning his skin right through the gloves they gave him. You couldn't pay me enough to do it.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
There are several manufacturers making paint specifically for painting cabinets. The Best Type of Paint for Kitchen Cabinets (with Pictures) | eHow With any product, proper surface preparation gives the best results.

The catalyzed lacquer was nasty stuff to work with, but certainly gave good results when applied properly. The wood trim on the edge of my kitchen countertop is finished in "water white" conversion varnish - 25 years later it still looks like new except for a small area in front of the sink where my wife insists on draping the damp dish towels to dry. I'm told that the quartz top she wants won't be affected.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Old standby = Oil-based semi-gloss enamels on top of an enamel primer/sealer.

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Old standby = Oil-based semi-gloss enamels on top of an enamel primer/sealer.
good luck on finding the oil base in what you want...

Reactions: DaninVan
1 - 17 of 17 Posts