Router Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
On my didgeridoo and native american style flutes I am using pure tung oil (no petroleum distillates) and citrus solvent (not CitriSolve). Both all natural. I use them mainly because, at least for the flutes, someone's mouth will come in direct contact with whatever finish I apply. I use a 50-50 cut mixture for the first application (50% tung oil - 50% citrus solvent), then a 75-25 mix, then a 90-10 mix. The tung oil is so thick if used straight that it can be a bit stiff to apply.

The tung oil moisture-proofs the wood nicely and seems to harden it a little with time. We gt enough condensation from our breath in either of these instruments that it will actually pool and has to be cleaned out occasionally if the instrument is played for long periods of time.

Some interesting finishes at www.realmilkpaint.com (I hope that's not misconstrued as an advertisement... I have no association with them other than as a customer)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.