Router Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
My favorite all around finish for furniture is a tung oil finish. Several coats rubbed in by hand and allowed to cure between coats brings out the beauty of the wood better than anything.
Pros: It's easy to apply, deep penetration of the surface providing a thick durable finish, scratches are easily covered by simply applying a little more oil on the area, the finish is easily renewed with a light sanding and buffing with more oil.

Cons: Not recommended for outdoor use, longer cure time between coats.

That's my input........Chuck

·
Registered
143 Posts
Jerry, I don't know if your response was directed at me or not, but my Tung Oil is the real stuff. I don't remember the brand name but it is quite a bit more expensive than Minwax. Just for the record, I don't recall ever using a wiping varnish on any of my projects.

For gunstocks, I like a hot raw linseed oil/turpintine rubbed finish. It takes about 10 days to 2 weeks to put the finish on depending on the ambient heat and humidity which govern the cure time. When it is finished it will last a life time without needing to be refinished. You can't get a finish like that out of a can.......Chuck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.